Forum home Problem solving

How to discourage ( dog walkers ) dogs from pooping in my front garden

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    I think you're right @wild edges, in that a community service order would also help, but the problem is that there aren't enough people to monitor it, so we're back to the same situation. They don't have enough folk to monitor 'criminals' who get these orders, so I can't see it working for littering, dog fouling etc.
    Round here, hitting them hard in their pockets could work well I think, although there are areas where the people are so well off [and they are among the culprits] they probably wouldn't notice a few grand in a fine  :/
    I'm with you on the littering too. I hate it. My kids were told from the minute they could stand up that if there wasn't a bin, you put it in  your pocket until you find one, or you get home. I walk around one of the high schools her, and it's depressing how much crap there is. I thought youngsters were supposed to be all over the 'no plastic' malarkey. What was really sad was, I went past one day, and someone had written a letter and laminated it, and attached to the railings. It was clearly written by quite a young child, asking people to look after the environment. I then had to go up the steps, and across the grassy bank behind the school, avoiding all the plastic, bottles, paper, polystyrene containers.... :(
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,704
    edited March 2020
    KEEPGREEN said:
    I think every citizen of this great nation has to have the sense of responsibility to keep the country clean, [...]

I'm afraid that's wishful thinking, @KEEPGREEN . Whether the nation is great or small is immaterial. A fair number of people who live on this planet (I dare not call them "citizens") have no sense of responsibility whatsoever.
    I agree with other forum members that a mixture of education and punishment is the way to go.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    No wonder Singapore is such a clean country .

Please have a read . Thanks 

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/littering-killer-litter-offences-penalties-singapore/

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,696
    Diluted Jeyes fluid.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    Diluted Jeyes fluid.
    Yes - throwing it over the owners might work...

Joking apart [before people jump down my throat] I'm not sure what you mean by saying that. What would the OP do with it, considering how potent and destructive it can be?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    For persistent offenders I would take the dog off them and take it to the RSPB....sorry i meant Dogs Home and give it to a family who will "own " it properly.

Im afriad that in Liberal Britain we are far too soft on some folk.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197
    The winner of Best in Show at Crufts yesterday showed how to do it ... no one person or occasion is too important to take responsibility for your pet. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Fairygirl said:
    Diluted Jeyes fluid.
    Yes - throwing it over the owners might work...

Joking apart [before people jump down my throat] I'm not sure what you mean by saying that. What would the OP do with it, considering how potent and destructive it can be?

Valley Gardener  is lost for words .

Given an opportunity , i think I would go by what you said FairyGirl .......Throwing it over the owners might work .
    NewBoy2 said:
    For persistent offenders I would take the dog off them and take it to the RSPB....sorry i meant Dogs Home and give it to a family who will "own " it properly.

Im afriad that in Liberal Britain we are far too soft on some folk.

NewBoy2 - Wow ! Spot on with your comment . I love your statement .
    Great Britain has very few people like you, straight talking ...... as you said we are far too soft on some folks and hence some folks never learn in life .
    Whatever pet you choose to keep, it is your responsibility - whether a Cat, a Dog, a Parrot, a Giant Tortoise or WHY - you look after it and ensure it doesn't negatively affect your neighbours.
    If you cannot do that, don't have a pet - quite simple really :)

Wow ! Another fantastic statement by Philippa Smith2 .