Forum home Problem solving

How to discourage ( dog walkers ) dogs from pooping in my front garden

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,215
    I think you would probably be OK if you put up a photo of the offending pooch only. I don’t think a dog could sue you for breach of privacy etc. 😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,326
    Is there a dog poo bin - or any other sort of bin - anywhere close by?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    Is there a dog poo bin - or any other sort of bin - anywhere close by?
    None around, but i do some good decent Dog Walkers who aren't ashamed to pick their dog poo, these are the lazy ones like we have all over the country and these Lazy ones only sneak out after 6:30pm / 8 pm in the evening. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,326
    I'd suggest a bright security light will be cheaper than CCTV (the output of which you may not be able to use anyway). If they are hoping for cover of darkness, then remove the darkness. I'd advise a switch inside the house so you can turn the light off when you go to bed so it doesn't keep the whole neighbourhood awake all night. But if the peak poo time is mid evening, then you probably won't be disturbing anyone.

There is some evidence that signs with pictures of faces on them tend to make people behave differently, as mad as that sounds. You can get notices made for not too much money as well (try a site like 'sign-o-matic' - there are others). Something official looking stating that offenders will be fined (I assume that is actually the case, in theory, it is in most places just rarely enforced) may help along with a light so they can see it and be seen.

You could also go along to your local Parish or Town Council and ask for better poo bin provision in the area. People don't like carrying full bags around, so accessible bins sometimes helps. As long as they are emptied regularly.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    Erect a fence.

When my Father was out side hand cutting the 2 foot wide grass outside our wall a "Lady " let her dog c**p on the grass.

My father got his hand trowel and flipped it into her shopping bag !!

My Hero  :)
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,215
    And the dog gave him a high five.
    😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited March 2020
    For people who aren't aware, that Dog fouling is a offence & as long as one has evidence, the Dog owner can be Prosecuted . Please go through below link 

https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/dog-fouling-a-A76076D76944/  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    An interesting little adjunct to this topic @KEEPGREEN. I was cleaning my windows yesterday, and 2 folk from the council were outside spray painting the pavements with their stencils of a large t*rd and the usual warning. We had a chat, and the chap said they've been doing this for 11 years and it's never got any better. The woman said there aren't enough of them now to keep on top of it.They do patrols in unmarked cars etc, and all the usual things, but it makes no difference. They haven't got the funds to tackle it properly.
    Perhaps a very large fine when they do catch these people might help. Along with a new sign on the pavement with the new fine. Couple of grand a time might focus the attention...

I wish you luck. 

@NewBoy2- I did laugh at your story, even though it's horrific! Your dad should get a medal  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    An interesting little adjunct to this topic @KEEPGREEN. I was cleaning my windows yesterday, and 2 folk from the council were outside spray painting the pavements with their stencils of a large t*rd and the usual warning. We had a chat, and the chap said they've been doing this for 11 years and it's never got any better. The woman said there aren't enough of them now to keep on top of it.They do patrols in unmarked cars etc, and all the usual things, but it makes no difference. They haven't got the funds to tackle it properly.
    Perhaps a very large fine when they do catch these people might help. Along with a new sign on the pavement with the new fine. Couple of grand a time might focus the attention...

I wish you luck. 

@NewBoy2- I did laugh at your story, even though it's horrific! Your dad should get a medal  :D
    Thank you :-) 

I think every citizen of this great nation has to have the sense of responsibility to keep the country clean, whether its out and about in the park, out with your loving pet and your surroundings at home .
    No excuse to litter the place & I agree there should be a BIG fine else some lazy people never learn . 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,866
    I don't think fines are the answer but community service orders could work. Anyone caught littering should have to give up a couple of weekends to do litter picking and attend an education class to show them why it's such a bad thing. The litter outside the school gates here piles up day by day so it can't be too hard to catch people at it if they want to try.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people