Forum home Problem solving

How to discourage ( dog walkers ) dogs from pooping in my front garden

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    I hate that too @Hostafan1. There's a woman near me who walks umpteen dogs at one time [ I assume she gets paid for it ] and she wasn't pleased when I vocally showed my displeasure when one of them started. Only one was on a lead. 
    Even worse is when you have a small child and they allow it. 
    I have that T shirt too.  >:)
    I'm surprised my oldest [and very small daughter] likes dogs considering the number of times it happened to her. 

@Obelixx- I believe that's the case here too with beaches, but....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,704
    edited February 2020
    About 5 years ago, we got fed up with the amount of dog droppings in our street. Here are the set of actions I took.
    1. I took close-up photos of the totality of dog droppings all along our street (see some samples below).
    2. I printed a map of our street and marked with a red cross the exact spots of dog droppings (about 20 in all).
    3. I took this map and the photos to the town hall (la mairie) to show them. The receptionist acknowledged that "it was the most complete dog poo report she had ever seen".
    4. Further to that, a reminder of the by-law re dog poo was issued in the local town bulleting, together with a reminder of the penalty.
    5. The municipality also placed a box with special plastic dog poo bags in the middle of the street.
    6. I printed about 50 leaflets (see below) and distributed them in all the street letter-boxes (plus on car windscreens, plus extra copies in a couple of shops, restaurants, etc. in the vicinity).
    As a result, the number of unwanted poo diminished drastically, esp. the very large variety ones.
    We still do get the occasional poo, but nothing comparable to the epidemic that we had back then.
    The offending pics (sorry ;)

The original leaflet in French:
    Translation:
    Side-walks to pedestrians!
    For some time now the side-walks of the rue de Gaël (and neighbouring streets) have been invaded by large amounts of dog droppings. This rubbish, combined with the narrowness of the sidewalk in some places, forces passers-by to get down on the roadway, at the risk of being victims of traffic accidents.
    The "Montfort Hebdo" of 8 January reminds us that dog owners responsible for this state of affairs can be fined 35€ by the municipal police.
    Whether we are dog owners or not, cleanliness, public hygiene and the safety of the passers-by in our streets concern us all. Let us mobilize to make our pavements accessible to the free circulation of pedestrians and to enforce the municipal by-law intended for this purpose.

Hope that helps...
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137
    Oh Hostafan, Of course people should clean up after their dogs, but please realise the benefits of owning dogs. Massive company, they encourage us to take exercise, and just think of the importance of sniffer dogs at our air ports etc. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310
    cowslip2 said:
    Oh Hostafan, Of course people should clean up after their dogs, but please realise the benefits of owning dogs. Massive company, they encourage us to take exercise, and just think of the importance of sniffer dogs at our air ports etc. 
    cowslip2 said:
    I don't deny any of that, especially guide dogs, but I just don't want them near me.
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,215
    Ah yes, sniffer dogs at airports....

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,539
    pansyface said:
    A CCTV camera in plain sight and a prominent sign, stating the fine for allowing your dog to foul property, saying that they are being filmed and that their image will be sent to the police unless they clean up the mess.

People really really don’t like the idea that they are being recorded on a camera.

I was going to suggest the same, plus print stills from the footage of offenders and put them on a board in the front garden.  Name and shame.  There is absolutely no excuse for not clearing up after a dog, particularly if it does it in somebody's garden.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,539
    Regarding the problem of dogs jumping up, I agree that it can be frightening for some, and others don't like it and shouldn't have to put up with it.  Some years ago we were out in the countryside for a walk and a spaniel pup, probably about 6 months old came running towards us.  It stopped when it got to us, obviously hoping for a fuss but not jumping up.  I did give it a fuss, at which point it's owner arrived and the pup promptly jumped up, wanting more attention.  The owner was mortified but in that instance it was neither her fault nor the pup's.  I'd encouraged it by making a fuss and laughed it off.  No damage apart from a couple of muddy paw prints which would wipe off once dry.
    I love dogs although I don't own one, but even I am very wary of any dog running towards me.
  • TenNTenN Posts: 122
    KT53 said
    I was going to suggest the same, plus print stills from the footage of offenders and put them on a board in the front garden.  Name and shame. 
    You could find yourself in trouble sharing CCTV images of other parties. 
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    Papi Jo said:
    About 5 years ago, we got fed up with the amount of dog droppings in our street. Here are the set of actions I took.
    1. I took close-up photos of the totality of dog droppings all along our street (see some samples below).
    2. I printed a map of our street and marked with a red cross the exact spots of dog droppings (about 20 in all).
    3. I took this map and the photos to the town hall (la mairie) to show them. The receptionist acknowledged that "it was the most complete dog poo report she had ever seen".
    4. Further to that, a reminder of the by-law re dog poo was issued in the local town bulleting, together with a reminder of the penalty.
    5. The municipality also placed a box with special plastic dog poo bags in the middle of the street.
    6. I printed about 50 leaflets (see below) and distributed them in all the street letter-boxes (plus on car windscreens, plus extra copies in a couple of shops, restaurants, etc. in the vicinity).
    As a result, the number of unwanted poo diminished drastically, esp. the very large variety ones.
    We still do get the occasional poo, but nothing comparable to the epidemic that we had back then.
    The offending pics (sorry ;)

The original leaflet in French:
    Translation:
    Side-walks to pedestrians!
    For some time now the side-walks of the rue de Gaël (and neighbouring streets) have been invaded by large amounts of dog droppings. This rubbish, combined with the narrowness of the sidewalk in some places, forces passers-by to get down on the roadway, at the risk of being victims of traffic accidents.
    The "Montfort Hebdo" of 8 January reminds us that dog owners responsible for this state of affairs can be fined 35€ by the municipal police.
    Whether we are dog owners or not, cleanliness, public hygiene and the safety of the passers-by in our streets concern us all. Let us mobilize to make our pavements accessible to the free circulation of pedestrians and to enforce the municipal by-law intended for this purpose.

Hope that helps...
    Brilliant !

Wish we could deliver dog poo to their respective houses as a token of appreciation , some people are a disgrace to the society .
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    edited March 2020
    cowslip2 said:
    A dog is a loyal pet, unlike human beings , but these people who don't clean their dog poo are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves, but i am certain ...disgrace / ashamed never existed in their dictionary .