Forum home Problem solving

How to discourage ( dog walkers ) dogs from pooping in my front garden

Hi Everybody,

How do you discourage dog walkers with their dogs from using my front garden as a poo pad. 

Your advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,830
    edited February 2020
    A CCTV camera in plain sight and a prominent sign, stating the fine for allowing your dog to foul property, saying that they are being filmed and that their image will be sent to the police unless they clean up the mess.

People really really don’t like the idea that they are being recorded on a camera.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376
    ...and keep reporting it to your local council @KEEPGREEN, with photos if possible. If your council has a dog warden, you can request a visit. I've done it countless times  :/

I despair of people. They want them to clear the oceans of plastic. Fat chance of that when folk won't even pick up their dog sh*t. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• A barrier of some kind if you are completely open to the road - even something small which would delineate your property from the pavement ?  If it persists, then @pansyface advice would be an alternative.  
    A (strong )  word with your local council or MP may also bring the problem to the fore.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,255
    I'm afraid it doesn't surprise me at all.
    Many , NOT ALL ,  who have pets thinks everyone else should love them too and never complain about anything they do. 
    How many " how do I stop my neighbours' cats...." threads on here?
    I'd happily see dogs banned from all public parks and beaches.
    Devon.
  • Fairygirl said:
    ...and keep reporting it to your local council @KEEPGREEN, with photos if possible. If your council has a dog warden, you can request a visit. I've done it countless times  :/

I despair of people. They want them to clear the oceans of plastic. Fat chance of that when folk won't even pick up their dog sh*t. 
    wow ! I love your statement . 

• pansyface said:
    A CCTV camera in plain sight and a prominent sign, stating the fine for allowing your dog to foul property, saying that they are being filmed and that their image will be sent to the police unless they clean up the mess.

People really really don’t like the idea that they are being recorded on a camera.
    Thank you . 
    I like the idea of CCTV .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,875
    We are lucky in having lots of country lanes for walkies but if we go somewhere else, such as the beach, we always have poo bags and pick up.  

I expect the same courtesy of other dog owners so, assuming you can't prevent people and their dogs from fouling your property the CCTV camera and notice are the way to go.   Be clear and polite with the notice and send info to the council and police every time someone offends.   

If the council doesn't take action, name and shame them in local press and, if you have a local Facebook group for your area, post pictures there too and call on others to support your campaign.  You are surely not alone in having this problem.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376
    I was plagued with it when I moved in here 7 years ago. I was putting a boundary fence in anyway, but I had to contact the council on several occasions, and there was eventually some improvement. The final straw was the 'pile' sited about two feet away from the postman's box [adjacent to my property] which had a sign on it.
    No prizes for guessing what kind of sign  :|
    There was a deposit recently, just round the corner. I hate to think what size of dog it came from - must have been something the size of a small pony. I think it prompted some painted signs on the pavements in 3 places. Guess what's sitting about a foot away from one of them?
    I walk every day for about an hour and a half. There isn't a single day I don't see a new pile.
    While I agree with you @Hostafan1, the sad thing is that there are lots of responsible dog owners too, but everyone gets tarred  :(
    We'd better not start on the cats.... :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,538
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'd happily see dogs banned from all public parks and beaches.
    As a dog owner I totally agree. When we take the kids places it's so nice when dogs are banned and you don't have to constantly watch where everyone is walking. Sadly it's usually the same people who don't clean up after dogs that also ignore the 'no dogs' signs.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,255
    @Fairygirl, If folk don't have room to exercise their dog on they own land, they shouldn't expect others to be subjected to them . 
    Devon.