Forum home The potting shed

Rat!

lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
In our successful attempt to create a garden to attract wildlife we have an unwelcome visitor, a rat. He/she is very at home, log piles for shelter, a pond to drink from and, no mess bird food offerings that have been dropped from the bird feeders. We have tried a sensor that emits the noise they are supposed to dislike, either it doesn't work or the rats deaf! I'd rather not use poison, it's cruel and we have 2 greedy labradors. Has any one successfully driven out rats from the garden with a sensor? I'm getting desperate to be rid before it multiplies! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    edited February 2020
    Do you leave bird food out?  Try putting it out for short periods but bring it back indoors after, say, ten minutes.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
    Hi pansy face, my husband is a huge birdlover, the feeders are all hanging ones from the trees so the squirrels can't get on them. He really doesn't want to stop feeding the birds, hence my enquiry about the deterrent sensors. We've lived here 21 years and it's not been a rat issue until now. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,984
    A humane trap is the only other suggestion,  then dispose of it however you see fit.
    Rats don’t come in ones....
  • A healthy, well fed adult rat can be quite difficult to kill unless you are a skilled marksman/woman. i have invested in 2 electric traps which run off 4 large batteries so not mains supply electricity. They give 2 electric shocks, 3 sec.s apart to kill any rat which trips the mechanism. However, because they use batteries they should only be used indoors and I am not going to encourage any rat inside my house just to try and catch it. I am going to wait for dry weather (I know,, I can hear you all laughing) but we might have some dry days sometime, put the traps inside large plastic storage containers near the bird feeders and try my luck. If there is one rat there is likely to be a family. We have a large local rat population, part of living in country farmland areas.
    Rats can stay alive in water for 3 days and if given a single electric shock, their hearts will restart beating which is why the traps give 2 shocks. All sounds fanciful to me but have no way of disproving or proving if true or not. (For those of you who have fallen off your chairs laughing, again!).
    Yes pansy face you're bang on there, we saw two together about an hour ago! Looking like we will have to explore the trap route. Joyce I admire your humour, I cannot bear rats, lived next to a farm as a child and we were often overrun with them, semi rural here, never had a problem until the ferocious cat from next door moved away last month. If appropriate or even possible on here I'd be really interested to know the make of your traps. Surely we will have some dry weather soon!

I'd really welcome any further suggestions as we are very keen to solve this ASAP. Much thanks all. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,805
    You know the saying ... When the cat’s away the mice (and rats) will play.   🐀  🐈 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Never mind playing, they were having a full on party before the hailstones defended! 
    How about a replacement moggy? Eco friendly. 100% success rate.
    A cat is not an option unfortunately, both husband and daughter are very allergic, if our garden was larger a feral rehomed cat would be a superb fix.