Forum home Problem solving

South east corner problems

I'm in the south east and I've got a South east facing garden, which would normally be wonderful I know, but I'm on the corner of an L shaped row of houses. This means that at this time of the year the garden doesn't seem to be getting any full sun in any corner. However, there's a star jasmine and honeysuckle that seem to be doing really well. The star jasmine doing well seems to suggest that during the summer the garden is in full sun for at least half the day. Does this mean I should plan the rest of the planting with this in mind?
P.S I've only recently moved in.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,303
    It might be wise to wait and see how the sun and seasons work in your garden before making big plans!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,251
    I'd agree with @madpenguin. It's always good to wait a little while and see what will work. It can be difficult being patient though  ;)

Honeysuckles generally like different conditions and aspects to star jasmine, so it's also worth waiting to see what other planting is there, as that can affect what else grows well.
    If you can post some photos of the plot, that also helps when people offer suggestions. If you click on the little icon above the posting window which looks like a mountain, that will give the instructions for uploading :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Harry ArmstrongHarry Armstrong Posts: 5
    edited February 2020

Here's a photo, of the plot. I noticed today that sun is starting to hit the palm, so the sun is finally creeping in.

I know I should wait, a whole growing season before doing anything. But that palm has to go, it has wind burn and the fatsia is being tide together by string and is slowly collapsing. 
  • Here's a photo, of the plot. I noticed today that sun is starting to hit the palm, so the sun is finally creeping in. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,440
    South east facing can mean anything. Tall buildings and nearby trees can cast shade at certain times of the day/year. In your photo, is that the back bit of your garden? I yes, I suspect it will be sunny in the summer months, but maybe sun from midday to the evening.

They look like raised beds, so you should be able to grow a variety of plants. All depends on what you like. Doesn't look very big, so you may need to be careful with shrubs. 
  • Thank you @Borderline unfortunately it looks like they've been back-filled with nearby soil and not topsoil, which would have been neutral. Hoping adding plenty of compost and maybe some coffee grounds will help make it more acidic or at least neutral. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,440
    You can always just add ericaceous compost into the raised area every year. That should help too.