Forum home The potting shed

Friends we might never have met ...

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,382
    The patch club is in Olonne @Jacquimcmahon but the Franco British club based in our much smaller local town also gets free use of the hall when it needs it as does the over 60s club in our village.   I do a mosaic class in La Roche in one of the "maison de quartier" which is also run by the council and lets out rooms for disabled groups, arty groups, youth groups and oldies at special rates or free depending on the activity and catchment.    The Vendée gardening club gets use of a public domain - former chateau grounds - for its annual spring fair.

I'm sure there are many lonely people in France but it's not because there's nothing to do and nowhere to meet up.   Maybe have a chat with your mayor about starting something round a general interest such as gardening or walking, rather than racial origins.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 892
    Perhaps one day we will move out of the “region parissien” as around here it’s pretty much what the French call a “Ville dortoire”, ie you only live here to sleep. In the evenings and weekends a large majority go to family or country home out of the area. Very poor community spirit and the mairie is more focused on keeping the town finances afloat than anything else! 

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 7,282
    That story is so sad.  Our next door neighbour had been on her own for about 3 years following the death of her husband.  We were good friends but didn't live in each other's pockets.  She often spent long weekends at her son's house so we didn't think anything of it when we didn't see her.  It was only on the Tuesday morning when the lady who did her hair rang our doorbell to say she couldn't get an answer that I was immediately worried.
    I had a spare key to her house, as she did for ours, so went in only to find her dead in her bedroom.  She hadn't been at her son's that weekend, but we didn't know that.  She didn't tell her what she was doing, or where she was going, on a day to day basis, and there was no reason she should.  If it had happened mid week we would probably have thought something was amiss much sooner as she always opened her porch door, keeping the inner one locked.  As this was in the summer we would immediately have wondered why it wasn't open.