Feeding hedgehogs

Hi, this is my first post.
All last summer we had a hedgehog living in our hedgehog box. He/she disappeared when the cold weather started and when we had a look it wasn’t in the box. We also discovered that we had rats visiting overnight and wondered what we can do to ensure only the hedgehogs eat the food we leave for them if they return this year. Sorry for such a long post.
“If you’re lucky enough to be Irish you’re lucky enough.”

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,446
    Hello and welcome  :)
    Do you put food out in the open, or have you got a feeding station? 
    I know that rats don't like eating in the open, l think @purplerallim may be able to advise. 
    Also, if you have time, there's a big thread here with loads of hoggy info. 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/993170/help-save-the-hedgehogs-part-ii/p1
    🦔
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,381
    Hi @ainekeenan . Welcome.
    Yes I made the mistake of putting food in the house resulting in rats. I made a feeding station out of a plastic storage box and placed it in the middle of the garden thus no rats but loved by hogs. It has a lid so the rain stays off the food, and the hubby made the door hole small enough so cats wouldn't try to pinch the food. Also use dry hedgehog food to discourage vermin. It is clear so I can watch the hogs on my night camera too. Hope all this helps.😁