Forum home Plants

Laurel planting location advice

• mattgardenmattgarden Posts: 109
    I'm in the West Midl
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 29,967
    I'm asking simply because they aren't as tough as some other hedging plants, so your own local conditions come into play.
    I'm much further north, so I don't know how they would do in your area. It might be worth looking at the growing details  for them on the RHS or similar.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you. RHS have it as H5 (-10 to -15) so hopefully that will be ok
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 29,967
    It's soil conditions as well @mattgarden.
    For many plants/shrubs, prolonged cold and wet, with heavy soil, can cause far more problems than just cold temps. 
    I don't want to put you off, but I just wanted you to be aware of all the factors when you're choosing.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you. So back to my original question, but for the case of Griselinia rather than Laurel....

How close is it feasible to plant the hedge to the fence, without causing problem?

I am hoping to get it close to the fence, and hoping that most growth will come outwards towards my garden due to restrictions of space and light at the back. 

Thanks
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,964
    I would plant them in the middle of the space you've got - bushes have a tendency to lean forwards to the light rather than upright with branches sticking straight out if that makes sense. A leaning hedge doesn't look good.

Thanks for your advice. The only problem is that I have a small brick wall right in the middle of the space I've got. I think it is the original boundary. 

The fence is repaired now and ground on both sides prepared for planting in either situation. 
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 606
    Good choice @mattgarden, we’ve got two of these in our garden, had some in last home too. They are hardy here ( North East) , evergreen, can be shaped or left alone and grow quite densely. The birds used them successfully to make nests in and no chance of any predators getting in. One of ours is quite “ spread out” at the moment, the other one seems to have an upright, slim habit, but both will be pruned ,as necessary, to our needs when they’ve grown up a bit. Be patient with them in the beginning, they may need a year or so to get bedded in and grow their root systems....after that, they will put on yearly growth really nicely. Good luck!
    @Songbird-1 thank you so much. Finally pleased to have made what seems like a good choice. How narrow would you say you'd be able to have these in a hedge?

Lovely that they had birds nested in there. My kids will love that but of wildlife. We do struggle with that. 
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 606
    edited 3 March
    @mattgarden, are you asking how far apart you should plant them? If so, I would say have a look at the plant you get to see how wide they are first but at a guess, from my experience, I would give them a good 30-36 inches  apart. The plant we have which is spread out must be at least 3-4 feet wide already but we deliberately bought a fairly mature plant which was quite a few years old at purchase. The other one is barely a foot and a half wide. Give them some space between to spread out a bit. This is all just a guess as we’ve never grown them a hedge( perhaps others on here will better advise you)  but as a single shrub.