Forum home Plants

Laurel planting location advice

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,050
    Just as an example - when we moved to Belgium in 1991 we rented a house which had a laurel shrub near the front entrance.  In order to get into the house without being mugged  I pruned it back hard to a good, uniform shape.  This was June.  By September it had grown 6 ' in all directions except the front door because I pruned that every couple of weeks.

Do you have the time and energy to do that to a determined laurel?  Let alone a whole hedge of them.

Think also about how your elderly neighbours on the other side are going to cope with it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • mattgardenmattgarden Posts: 109
    Thank you. That's interesting. There's a drop of 30 foot down to the rear neighbours bungalow. And about 6 or 7 meters of over grown shrubbery, brambles and goodness knows what else on the slope down. This why I think the fence has been left to disrepair over the years.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,518
    @mattgarden- people speak from experience, which is why there are many anti laurel folk here.
    As I said previously - you have to maintain them from the start to have a successful hedge, but it may not be the best choice for you. They work best where there is room for them.
    I personally love them. They provide a very good windbreak [necessary here] and shelter for lots of wildlife. Greenery for using at Christmas, and a good backdrop for other planting as they provide the aforementioned windbreak. They also soak up a lot of excess water over autumn, winter and spring [also necessary here] 
    It's a question of judgement.  :)

There are lots of other choices which may suit you very well. Hornbeam, Yew, Holly, Beech and good old Privet. All, with the possible exception of Holly,  can be kept neater, with less effort. Holly looks best when allowed some room. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you all for your advice. I do like the appearance of Laurel. I adore the bright green colour. It would be going across the back here.

In the house I grew up in we had a conifer hedge at the back (for privacy) and while I liked it, I fancied something different here. 

Is there anything else that is a bright green I could use? Other then Laurel. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,050
    Privet - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/10103/i-Ligustrum-lucidum-i/Details other forms available 

Yew - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/18001/Taxus-baccata/Details other forms available

Both respond well to pruning for hedges and neither goes mad like laurel.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,551
    edited 28 February
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • RussellTRussellT Posts: 12
    Prunus lusitanica (Portuguese Laurel) is a good alternative to Prunus Laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel). Just looks a bit nicer somehow with the red stems. Personally I think cherry laurels are ok, and in the situation you've got will grow c, 40 cms a year initially so quite manageable. Very well established plants will be more prolific, but given your site that's not a problem. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/14003/Prunus-lusitanica/Details

• RussellTRussellT Posts: 12
    Here is a classic thread telling the story over three years of Befuddled's in the end successful attempt to establish a cherry laurel in similar circumstances to you:
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/656523/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/p1
    Thanks to you all. I think we are going to go with Griselinia littoralis. It seems it can grow narrower so bonus too. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,518
    I hope it's hardy for the climate and conditions where you live @mattgarden.
    Check out the detail before you spend the money, and make the effort of prepping and planting.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....