Forum home Tools and techniques

Strimmer advice

Hi all,

We've just moved to Whitstable from Hackney, and the garden here is more rough, bumpy and coarse than our previous one. I tried a strimmer years ago, and the cable kept snapping on anything slightly thicker than grass, so never used it again.

I want to buy one for here, so I can get more space back (we've a two year old boy, and want some football space!). The garden here has been neglected.

Has anyone some strimmer advice please on a good strong cutter for various thicknesses and types of things to be cut (not just grass)? Happy to spend on this item.

Is petrol the way to go?

Many thanks in advance.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,382
    edited February 2020
    I would hire a professional-type petrol one to do an initial cut back and then, unless you've got a real bramble patch, regular mowing ought to keep grass and low regrowth in check.  

If you've got more of a thicket, then it's going to take quite a bit of work to achieve a suitable surface for ball games.  A photo would give us an idea of your options.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Welcome to Kent, I'm in Medway but have family in your area. When we bought our house it was overgrown with brambles. I bought this brushcutter from B&Q https://www.diy.com/departments/mcculloch-b26-ps-26cc-43cm-petrol-brushcutter/536075_BQ.prd was pretty reasonable on price and comes with brushcutting blade had ours for nearly 2 years and quite pleasdd with it.. Once you've got it all down you can then switch to line trimming head for cutting grass edges etc.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,109
    Having read the reviews on that one I wouldn't buy it.
    People have told me that Stihl is the best make and they have quite a large range. I used one when I was younger but now they upset my shoulder.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,762
    OH has a McCullough petrol powered strimmer which can use a metal blade for heavy stuff like brambles or nylon wire for long grass.   He also has a lighter leccy machine that he uses for trimming grass and bed edges.

He's just got the McCullough back from a full service and chappy there advised him to soak his spools of wire in water for 24 hours and then drain.  Apparently it's a fisherman's trick for reducing premature snapping and breaking of the line.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,029
    I’ve just been looking at Which? reviews of strimmers, filtering the results to show only machines suitable for heavy duty use. These were the top performers
    Honda cordless electric 86% £300
    Ego ST1 500E-F cordless electric 84% £259
    Stihl FS94 C-È Petrol 83% £300
    Bosch Art 35HD corded electric 83% £94
    Stihl FS 38 petrol 78% £155
    Stihl FS40 petrol 77% £145
    Honda UM S425LE 76% £259
  • Jack1974Jack1974 WhitstablePosts: 24
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, really helpful!

@Dove - great feedback to start with the petrol one to do the groundwork
    @Glen - thank you for the welcome, we love it here! 
    @Busy - I've had a look at Stihl - looks lovely stuff!
    @Obelixx - I'll be sure to soak the cable, great tip, thank you!
    @Ben, thank you this also really helped my next purchase!