Forum home Garden design

Garden Awning

are transparent awnings good for a garden like this?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,251
    I don't know what a transparent awning is  :|

Why do want one?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    No.  If it's in place all summer your garden will dry out and die.

Permanent awnings, or sails, are really only good for terraces where everything is in pots and you take care of the watering.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,052
    Fairygirl said:
    I don't know what a transparent awning is  :|

Why do want one?

Easy peasy. A transparent awning is an awning that is transparent. ;)
    Why the OP is asking this question rather baffles me. Wait for the ad?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    @Papi Jo- I'm convinced there's an ad coming, but you know how it is - giving folk the benefit of the doubt and all that  ;)

I must be in a good mood  :D

Give them the benefit of the doubt @philippa smith2 and then be vigilant for SPAM
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Yeh - I looked at the previous posts the OP had made @philippa smith2  ;)

• hey guys i took off the hornets or i don't know what insects they might be..if you ask me how just pm me.

I just wanna cover the plants but it seems not right after all. Maybe a mesh net.

Why i got to feel that this gardenersworld seems like a battlefield landscape?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,297
    @rachelleyar  If you cover your plants how are the insects going to pollinate them?  Plants need insects. 
    Why do you want to get rid of them?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,943
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    @rachelleyar - it helps, when asking a question for a particular reason, to give that reason and any other relevant info.  That way you'll get helpful answers.

An awning is usually a piece of fabric or sail material stretched over a terrace to provide shade - as a garden parasol or table umbrella would.    Insect netting is something very different.

However, as @Dovefromabove says, your garden needs insects - some to pollinate your flowers and any fruit and veg and some to predate the pests.   It's about balance.   If, on the other hand, you want to keep insects away from you when sitting outside enjoying yourselves, there are insect repelling candles and body sprays you can use to better effect.