Forum home Problem solving

Is my plant dying?

Can anyone offer any advice? Leaves keep dying on this plant. I thought I watered it too much but now I've not watered for a while. I've moved it into a brighter location now too

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,356
    I could be wrong, but maybe it gets cold at night, pressed against that window?

I know I would. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    It is normal for older leaves to die off and be replaced by fresh new ones so as long as you have new leaves growing there isn't a problem.

i do agree about the cold next to that window and would advise moving it into the room at night till the weather warms up.

As for watering, the best way to ensure a plant is not over watered is the dunking method.  Test the soil with your finger tip and when it feels dry, dunk the pot in a bucket of water until no more air bubbles appear then let it drain completely before putting it back in the decorative pot.  This ensures all the compost and roots get moistened but not left soggy and drowning.

Every now and again, come spring, give it some feed for foliage plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyface said:
    I could be wrong, but maybe it gets cold at night, pressed against that window?

I know I would. 🙂
    I've only just moved it there within the last 24 hours as I thought it needed more direct sunlight
    Your plant, apparently, is an Alocasia and it comes from the tropics. That’s something to bear in mind.

Here is a video which might ring some bells. Ignore the first 30 seconds or so of the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCt3Z_5ajU

Your plant would appear to be a bit of a diva.

Yet more helpful info on how best to please it...

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=19197&p=358476&hilit=Alocasia&sid=c29ba4306137a630acd6e791eb06fefd#p358476