Forum home Plants

ID please

Division from a neighbour who isn't sure what it's called.
Anyone help with an ID?
Owd

Just another day at the plant...

• Looks like Arum italicum, common name Lords and Ladies.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/69.shtml

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,043
    edited February 2020
    That's not a pleasant gift! I keep uprooting them in my garden. I suggest getting rid of it ASAP.
    I'm amazed to read that "The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its Award of Garden Merit (AGM)."
    Well, I guess that "one man's meat is another man's poison" applies here. ;) 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,553
    It will take over if you plant it out! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @russell.tebbutt01 it does indeed look like that thanks muchly
  • @Papi Jo @Lyn
    o'er...
    Noted with thanks.
    I've always commented on how distinctive and attractive the foliage looks, so I supposed I have myself to blame for the freebie.
    difficult to contain then?

• I have some on my patch. They are very vigorous and need curbing, but it's easily doable. Not in the 'thug' category. Like you, I like the foliage. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,727
    Try planting in a buried pot and be sure to remove and discard (don't compost!) the seed stems before the red berries are fully ripe and start dropping off.  ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I have had them in my garden (clay soil) for decades and I have never had a problem with them spreading. I guess it depends on your conditions.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
     like them but they can be invasive when happy.    There are some in a small triangular walled bed here and I've been clearing them out for the 3 years we've been her so they don't compete with the clematis I'd rather encourage but here they are again, just as big and healthy this year.

They behave fine in the other spots we have them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks all for your responses.
    From your various comments & experiences of this, I think that papi jo nailed it in "one mans meat...etc"
    I am intending to use this in a semi shaded position underplanting large shrubs in what will be a raised bed in which it will effectively sort of be confined or at least it's potential spread will be limited.
    So I am happy to give it a go.
    Many thanks