Forum home Garden design

woeful border help!

This border is the first thing you see when you look at the window and it is so depressing :(
Last year I planted lots of spring bulbs which are all starting to come up so they will look nice and colourful but after that there isn't much there. I would love it to be a sea of colour, pinks, purples and blues but unsure how to do it and which plants to choose. As it is the 'wall' between the patio and garden I fear I can't go too high but am I wrong? Also do I need to take those shrubs out to create more space for planting? 
Lastly I bought the dracaena on the left last year as thought it would be nice to have the symmetry (One on right already existed) but it is not looking too good, is this because it is under the tree? Do I need to move it? 

I apologise for my ramblings but as you can tell I am at a complete loss regarding this space and desperately want to make it 'wow' worthy by summer :) 

Please help!!!

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,008
    The first I'd do would be to gather all the scattered pots and make a nice display on the paved area on the side of the tree...or wherever you think is better for a pot display. Having them spread like that makes it look very bitty. 
    As for plant suggestions...we probably need an idea of how wide the border is. And of course we need to know how much sunlight does it get and what's the soil like.
    I'd get rid of all the plants and start from scratch if you want a display that has interest across the whole year. A good place to start would be some interesting structure plants...like the Hebe and Pieris already there maybe some box or some small conifers and then add plants around them. So even in the middle of the winter there's something there. A few smaller roses would be my immediate suggestion but it depends on conditions.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Hi George, Thank you for responding :)
    Ah yes well it get's sun till about 2pm. Soil is well drained and full of worms so think it's quite healthy! I added fish bone last year to help it a bit more. 
    Yes I fear I may have to clear it and start again, problem is budget! Would have to try and save some of the existing bulbs and re-plant. 
    Do you think it makes sense to take out the sleeper going down the middle and create one large sloping flower bed? It is probably about a mtr and half wide all in. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,043
    I'm afraid it's not so easy to get a clear idea of your problem from the multitude of those tiny pics. Could you please post a couple of larger single pics instead. And also a rough plan and dimensions of your garden? 
    @amancalledgeorge has some good suggestions.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,008
    Oh definitely keep the bulbs and if you can prune any of the existing plants you can give them a second chance @Csbartlett84 was wondering about the wood in between...if it is a sleeper that divides the bed in two I'd remove it so you have a decent width for the roots to use, metre and half sounds pretty good to me.

It's early in the year, you can try and grow some seeds for some summer colour which is a cheap way to get many plants. Or otherwise get a couple of nice shrubs with your existing budget and add a few cheap annuals for colour. Gardens take time, so don't be disheartened if it takes 3-4 years to get it to a nice colourful state. Another cheap way to fill a border is getting cuttings of plants you like from friends and neighbours. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow