Forum home Garden design

Help needed please in Garden design characteristics?

What are the soil factors I need to understand? Drainage characteristics, ph levels, texture, compaction level, soil toxicity, evidence of recent construction or soil layer disturbance, erosion level?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    Go on, tell us :) 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,765
    Got a lot of brownfield, contaminated, ex industrial sites in NZ then have you?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    We're waiting on the ad @nutcutlet ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,384
    Hiya Felix Birkbeck trading as Landcraft in New Zealand. 

As you asked ... there are several  things you need to understand 

1. This forum and website are the property of Immediate Media Co. 

2.  Any advertisements or self promotion need to be paid for ... otherwise you are contravening the site’s T&Cs (link at the foot of this page). 

3.  if you wish to advertise your business here’s what you need http://www.immediate.co.uk/brands/gardeners-world/#advertising

4.  Also, while you’re looking in,  I’d love you to quote for landscaping my garden.  Can I assume that you do not charge for travelling time, fuel or overnight expenses? Also, in the interests of the planet, please arrange to travel to my garden using only a sustainable means of transport ... we are not far from a navigable river so can I suggest you use sail?  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• No need for sail surely @Dovefromabove - you know that saying about digging down to Australia ? They just do it in reverse  using Garden Gnomes who burrow up through the earth's core and arrive on site within a few hours. As you have a pond  all you have to watch out for is the really weird one with the fishing rod.
    I believe they invoice you in Uberworld dollars :D  
    Don't go giving him more ideas @philippa smith2  ;) ... we have enough problems with holes around here as it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-43266095/the-sinkhole-that-swallowed-a-bus-in-norwich

:/ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,764
    That happens a lot in Cornwall as well, all built on mine shafts.  They were supposed to be mapped but half the time the owners didn’t bother. 
    Top of our lane fell in a while back, just a hole about 3’ across but straight down, just some tarmac over it. It stayed like that for a couple of years, no one seemed to know what to do with it.  Couple of cones round the edge sufficed.😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited February 2020
    We've been promising some of our water to Pat E and her neighbours down there in NSW  ... this is obviously the way to do it ... let's get @landcraftnewzealand on the case ...

• Don't go giving him more ideas @philippa smith2  ;) ... we have enough problems with holes around here as it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-43266095/the-sinkhole-that-swallowed-a-bus-in-norwich

:/ 
    That's pretty impressive !

Hexagon said:
    If they're going to dig down from Australia then really we need to be digging down from here to Africa so they can have all of our excess water.
    Ah - if this landscaping company digs DOWN from Australia, they will risk piercing the Turtle carapace and then we'll all be in trouble ;)

Sorry folks - if we get a sudden spate of BOGGOF ( buy 1 gnome, get 1 free ) ads, you know who to blame :D

• B3B3 Posts: 15,473
    I think if you burrow down to Australia, you might miss him by a few miles😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.