Forum home Problem solving

Seedlings and Growing On

These are my sweet pea seedlings I planted in early January and they have been in my unheated greenhouse in a polystyrene box with a clear polycarbonate lid and heavy flower pot on top to prevent mice eating them. How do I get ventilation in without letting mice anywhere near them. Or I could bring them indoors but I’m worried they will grow on too quickly. I’ve never grown sweet peas this early and am determined to get good ones this year! 

• BiljeBilje Posts: 485
    I thought mice went after SP seeds rather than the actual plants..mine look just like yours, on an upper shelf in my cold greenhouse no covering on them, they are hardy. They'd grow a mile a minute on a house window sill. Good luck 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,220
    They do look like they need a bit more light, Jane. The mice will lose interest once the seedlings grow a bit more but I suggest a mouse trap for the future. You can buy humane ones if you dislike killing mice. Put a little piece of chocolate inside, they prefer it to cheese.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,255
    I use peanut butter in mice traps. 
    Devon.
  • Thank you,  but I’m concerned the mice might eat the sweet peas and then find the trap? Anyone got experience of this? My greenhouse is old and I certainly can’t mouseproof their access holes unfortunately!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,255
    I agree with @Bilje, they see to go for seeds, not plants
    Devon.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,220
    Yes, they want the seeds. They will eat newly germinated peas but not young plants. A mousetrap is the answer, unless you favour cats.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376
    Yes - it's the seeds they eat, not the plants.
    The problem with sowing in January is that the plants are becoming etiolated, so you'll need to pinch them out to get them bushier before planting out later in the year. They also need ventilation, so no need to cover them or over protect them. Once germinated, let them breathe  :)

The ideal way is to sow in autumn in a greenhouse or cold frame, and let them germinate and grow slowly over winter, pinching out as and when needed, or wait until early spring to sow when temps are higher, and they need less attention. You want to have strong plants to plant out, as they'll be less vulnerable to attacks from slugs etc, and can withstand rougher weather more easily.
    No need for lots of protection if sowing in spring either, apart from giving them a little cover if you have any severe weather, which will depend on where you are in the country.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....