Forum home Garden design

Greenhouse questions incl brand, shade and drainage.

I am currently looking at greenhouses for my garden. Maybe a Rhino but would be open to cheaper but good quality options - as would my husband!
We have an area of concrete hardstanding that would be ideal to use but I worry that would leave us with no drainage. We can site it so that one side is over bare earth, would this be enough for drainage? If not, what else could be do to increase drainage?
Am thinking 6x8. 8x8 or just possibly 8x10. The longest side will be west facing with no real shade (though fenced to North and South), so will I need any shading included?
I am only considering greenhouses with double windows and vents (automatic).
Many thanks in advance.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,923
    I have a Rhino 8 x 10 and am very pleased with it.
    Mine runs east-west and I have their blinds on the south side which work very well.
    This will be its 4th year and the blinds still work fine as do the auto-vents. I also have louvres on 3 sides which helps a lot in the summer.
    I had the whole area paved, but I wanted to grow tomatoes on the north side of the g/house so have an unpaved border 8ft long and 2ft wide for my tomatoes.
    The whole paved area is on a gentle slope of about 4° so rainwater runs away and there are no puddles.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete, so the 4 degree slope runs into your tomato area? I am thinking along the same lines. We could lay slabs on the concrete base with shingle between which would help. The concrete is old so may need this as a little worried any bolts might not sit firm.
  • Pete, is your Rhino the Classic or Premium? I am struggling to determine the difference between the two on the website.

edited February 2020
    Yes that's right Hayley. Rainwater runs from the top of the garden down, so the tomatoes get a drink when it rains and the slope isn't noticeable.
    The greenhouse needs to be bolted down well and it's worth spending some time getting that right. The last thing you want is storm damage to your lovely new greenhouse.
    Mine is relatively high and exposed to the south west so it has taken a battering recently but all is good.
    We had a day without rain last week :) and I gave it a thorough clean-up inside and out. It's almost like new.
    Welcome to the forum btw.

Early summer -

edited February 2020
    I got the Premium - I can't remember what the difference is, maybe the extras like vents?
  • Pete, thanks for the info, and the welcome, we have a landscaper popping around this week so he will be able to advise us regarding the base. I will take a look at blinds too - the costs are mounting. But looking at some of the cheaper brands these also add up so not sure the difference is so great once you add it all up. I would like to see a Rhino in the flesh but they don't seem to be at any of the local places, but I will call them to be sure. Norfolk is a bit of a trek from Surrey! :) 
  • Yep, just spoke to Rhino, the Premium gives more ventilation, more strength, storm vent locks and more colour choices. Sadly the only place to view them is Norfolk though.
    I know what you mean about seeing in the flesh. I had no chance to see one before buying, but the vast majority of reviews are positive so I bit the bullet and don't regret it.
    I have noticed that the plastic trim on the south side (between each pane of glass) has faded a little, but the colour on the aluminium frame has not.

You could just use netting on the windows instead of the blinds which would cost less. I recall they're not cheap. Just bear in mind there needs to be enough wiggle room so the auto-vents can open the windows - they do however supply a lock so the windows stay closed.
    Hope the landscaper comes up with good news.
  • Thank you Pete. Lots to think about! Thanks for the pictures too, your garden looks great. :)
  • Thanks Philippa, I will take a look at the Halls one too.