Forum home Problem solving

Can anyone please identify this plant...

It's growing in a pot indoors. It's about seven feet tall, and recently it's lost about half it's leaves. They turn yellow and drop off.

Since I don't know what it is, I can't find out what it's requirements are.

Any help very much appreciated. Thank you....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    It looks a lot like a citrus of some sort. Do the leaves smell citrussy if you crush one and sniff it? Citrus do tend to lose leaves in winter if it is too hot, such as near radiators.  They can stand winter cold (but not frozen) if kept on the dry side.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hello fidgetbones and thanks for replying.

I just gave a leaf a really good squeeze and there's no smell at all. Do I need to remove one and really crush it?
  • hsmp1707hsmp1707 Posts: 5
    Can no-one identify this? I'm losing it by degrees, which is a pity.

It's never produced flowers or fruit and we must have had it for well over ten years now.

Any help much appreciated,
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,233
    I think it may be a schefflera arboricola which has become unhappy.

If so, this info may help - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/schefflera/schefflera-plant-care.htm

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thank you Obelixx. I checked the link and I think the leaves look more like schefflera actinophylla. However, they don't all grow from the same point on a branch like the umbrella leaves do. Each leaf is maybe a quarter inch up from the last, so it doesn't give quite the same umbrella effect.

This is the closest I've come to identifying it though. Maybe it's closely related...
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,066
    With that sort of leaf arrangement, could it be in the Ficus family?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks Bob,

It could well be. The leaves remind me of a rubber plant. I'll look into it...