Forum home Problem solving

Winter Heather

Hi, I was wandering if anyone had trouble with blooming heather or the lack of it,last year I purchased a heather plant Darleydale nice purple bloom but this year no blooms, what am I doing wrong can anyone help with this problem Thank you Paul  antrim  N.Ireland

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,986
    Might it have dried out, or alternatively, become waterlogged, last summer?  It might be recovering from stress perhaps.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,061
    Still a bit early. What kind of aspect is it in?
    If it was flowering at this time last year, it may simply have been down to the cultivation - ie, they're grown in  a more protected environment which forces earlier flowering. In the real world, they'll be a bit later, and it's also dependant on your own garden conditions.  :)

They like a sunnier site too. If it's in shade, it might underperform too.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Thank you for your advise on my ailing heather, its positioned in a sunny spot,in large wooden planter I constructed a few years ago,all the other plants in the planter are all flowering well each year. Could I add more acidic soil would that help with this heather. Many Thanks Paul   
    Ericas are happy in any soil, including alkaline - they don't require a more acidic soil, like the Callunas.  :)
    It may be a bit crowded if you have a lot of other planting with it, or it may just need a bit more time, but without a photo, it's difficult to offer any other suggestions. 

• Thank you for that ,ill try and get a photo some time soon many thanks for this. Paul
    No probs  :)