Forum home Tools and techniques

Drip system for hanging baskets

neilm1982neilm1982 Posts: 2
edited February 2020 in Tools and techniques
I am considering a drip system from a 100l water butt. My question is will the weight of water give enough pressure to feed up to 5 hanging basket drips approx 6ft high on a 10m run, the drips would be approx 5ft above the source of the water. Will it be asking too much for it to push water above it’s own level unaided, or would I need a pump of some description?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,504
    You will need a pump, water doesn't flow uphill.
  • steephill said:
    You will need a pump, water doesn't flow uphill.
    True in most cases however the drip system pipes are considerably smaller diameter than that of the water butt tap, archimedes effect means you create back pressure from gravity and weight of the water however I’m not sure if that pressure would be enough.
  •  Rik56 said:
    Put some water retention gel and vermiculite in your potting mix and a small saucer in the bottom of the baskets...alot less hassle than an irrigation system that's unlikely to work anyway.
    Not all hanging baskets come complete with saucers.  Depends what the OP intends to grow but vermiculite isn't a necessary ingredient.
    Water retention gel doesn't perform well unless you water correctly.  It's also a PITA to dispose of when you come to replant.
    A cut off plastic bottle inserted into each basket ( as the plants grow, this will be mostly hidden ) and a daily watering would perhaps do the job if the drip system doesn't work for one reason or another.
  • Rik56 said:
     Rik56 said

Ultimately it matters little because I strongly suspect the OP will attempt to sell us his basket irrigation system any time soon..

In that case, no harm done then - you won't be buying it and neither will I :)
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    Rik56 said:
    Put some water retention gel and vermiculite in your potting mix and a small saucer in the bottom of the baskets...alot less hassle than an irrigation system that's unlikely to work anyway.

I don't know why you think an irrigation system is unlikely to work.  The one as described by the OP with gravity feed probably wouldn't work, but I've been using an irrigation system for a combination of about 40 pots and hanging baskets for several years and it works very well.
  • berardeberarde Posts: 104
    I should give it a try without a pump, but be prepared to buy a pump which will work