Forum home Plants

himalayan blue poppy

robiwanrobiwan Posts: 206
I have tried these from seed with no joy anyone know where i can get a plant from cant find one anywhere ?

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,311
    I have given up on them altogether never had a flower yet, slugs seemed to love mine. Himalayan gardens at Ripon have good stock if that's anywhere near to you
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Make sure you have the right conditions for them too, or they won't thrive.
    Cold and damp is what they like.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,557
    very difficult things to grow if you don't live up a mountain
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • berardeberarde Posts: 135
    The plant hunters garden at Pitlochry have a wonderful show, so the conditions must be right. They had some plants for sale but with the slugs I thought they would be too frustrating
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,303
    Scotland has the best UK conditions for Meconopsis: damp and acid soils.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    There was a lovely display at Harlow Carr gardens a few years ago.  They ran a trial of different varieties.

If you buy a small plant, don't let it flower the first year.  They need time to build up their strength.  To damp and acid soil I'd add partial shade - I had some lovely ones in my garden on a NE slope in the Pennines, for a few years until the slugs got the better of them.

I'd also recommend Meconopsis quintuplinervia, the harebell poppy, to anyone with a shady rock garden and damp acid soil.  A pretty little plant which "runs" a bit when happy, easier to grow than its tall relatives.  Not such a startling blue though. 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    I could easily grow them here, but I dislike the colour  :D

You can manufacture the conditions for them up to a point, as with many plants, but you can't alter the climate you have. If that isn't suitable, I'm afraid you're just wasting time and money. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• robiwanrobiwan Posts: 206
    i am going to try one more time from seed if no joy will give up, But you guys know when you see a plant and absolutely must have it !!!! :)
  • Brookside nurseries have them as plug plants. Valerie