Forum home Problem solving

Ricinus Communis 'Carmencita' safe or not?

After watching Carol on Gardeners World planting her seeds for her 'Firey colours' bit of her garden in Devon I have wanted to grow some in our Garden . It's fair good size but we're Gardening on a slope with about 6 tiers ending with our decking area at the top , husband cut all the conifers down there, ( view is amazing over the valley)  I can get away with The height of Ricinus and could squeeze quite a few in ! So having seen I could get some on line my dilemma is Always has been are they SAFE as we have lots of neighbours cats roaming around, see my thinking , they say their poisonous ! your thoughts please.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,041
    I've grown them and there are still millions of cats around. 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,700
    I believe Carol has terriers ... if they’re not affected I would think that cats will be fine ... terriers are far more likely to chew on ricinus seeds (which is where the poison is) than cats are, in my experience. 

Lots of gardens have these plants and some cats roam everywhere ... they seem to survive. I would plant them and wouldn’t be concerned 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 190
    So as we speak I'm just ordering the seeds on-line, now I can plan out my garden where they will look best, Many thanks to you both for your answers to my problem your experience is appreciated, will post pictures come 'Summertime '
    So as we speak I'm just ordering the seeds on-line, now I can plan out my garden where they will look best, Many thanks to you both for your answers to my problem your experience is appreciated, will post pictures come 'Summertime '
    Don't be too tempted to sow them early. I've found early sowing don't grow into such good plants and often run to flower early.
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,727
    I don't sow mine until April, as they are not at all hardy and can't go outside till June, where i am.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    I had 2 in the polytunnel which didn't make it into the garden: they're still growing
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,727
    Well, you are in the tropics, @Hostafan1. Not like the barbaric North.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,131
    Hostafan1 said:
    I've grown them and there are still millions of cats around. 

Too bad. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,414
    punkdoc said:
    Well, you are in the tropics, @Hostafan1. Not like the barbaric North.
    So you would think Punkdoc,  it’s cold, windy and wet where we live,    my Ricinus only grew to about 2 - 3’ if that,  as you say, can’t put them out until end of May at least.
    i don’t know how they would fare in Wales. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 190
    Their on the order and like Punkdoc says will wait till mid March to sow them, I'm putting a selection of my own seeds saved from last year in the propagator tomorrow - Maltese Cross ( red and a new pink ) verbena bonariensis, blue/white Acquiliqua, a few pepper seeds and Dianthus Cruentus enough to get going . I will give them a go anyway here in South Wales no matter what the weather as they say .