Forum home Problem solving

Overseeding a Lawn - how to prevent birds scoffing the lot?

Hi all, I'm going to attempt to over-seed my lawn in a few weeks time (to fill in a few bare patches left over from de-mossed/de-weeded areas, and to thicken it in general).  I tried this last year in late-summer/early-autumn, but the onlooking pigeons/robins/blackbirds had a good laugh at me and then swooped down and scoffed the majority over the course of the week. Obviously I can't cover the whole lawn with netting, so how do people usually prevent birds from eating their over seeded lawns as soon as they turn their backs?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,880
    edited February 2020
    Put lots of bird food out in the back garden (or front if you’re reseeding the back) .....  and remember the old saying,  “one for the rook, one for the crow, one to die and one to grow” ... ie sow four times what you need 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,445
    Maybe you should buy bird resistant seeds,  you only need to sow twice as much then. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for the tips, you're probably right, on reflection I think I did sow a bit too thinly.