Forum home The potting shed

What happens to the silver strip when  40bn of notes are composted?

Around two billion paper notes will be withdrawn and recycled to be used as a soil improver for agriculture.

Beyond the silver, It's anyone's guess what potential  cancer causing chemicals will enter the food chain when this happens.

What about the immense amount if ink that must have been used to originally  print the notes? 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51564580

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,519
    I wonder why they don't just burn them as biofuel?
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,504
    The safest course of action is to send all those used £20 notes to me, I promise not to let any of those imaginary cancer causing chemicals escape.
    Used banknotes were previously used as biofuel, heating the Bank of England in Threadneedle Street.
  • The silver strip is actually made of aluminium. Anyway, silver is not carcinogenic, and there are even silver compounds which are used to treat cancer.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,796
    I'm guessing at least some thought had gone into the disposal of the used notes

I wouldn’t put money on it.🙄

(Not even a defunct twenty pound note.)
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,881
    Someone, somewhere, is probably planning a way to 'distil' them first..
    or even use them as a nice pool of potential biological weapons?
    The reputable articles above don't worry me in the slightest though and I much prefer using cash.  I refuse to pay for anything at all with my phone and only use cards if I have to.  If a shop has a cashpoint nearby, I get some cash out and pay at a till with a human being operating it.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167
    I pay everything on my credit card and pay it off as soon as my salary hits my bank account.
    I think the only time I use cash is my hairdresser.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Hostafan1 said:
    I pay everything on my credit card and pay it off as soon as my salary hits my bank account.
    I think the only time I use cash is my hairdresser.
    Me too - and the cash is only for the tip. I occasionally need it for remote car parks too, which don't have card facilities.
    Mind you, the credit cards aren't giving much back nowadays. I never have one which doesn't give something back.

Anyway, if we worried about every single thing that happens, or might happen, we'd never leave the house. Best stay wrapped up in cotton wool and live in a cupboard.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I got £20 of vouchers from my John Lewis credit card yesterday.
    My smallest purchase on a card was 8p.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,394
    I keep a little cash in my purse for carparks, market stalls etc ... I probably draw out between £20 and £50 at a time and it lasts for several months. Otherwise I use my debit card for general day to day expenditure. I only use my credit card for online purchased or emergency expenditure such as a new washing machine etc and pay it off when the bill comes in. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

My card bill arrives about the  15th, with a payment date of the 3rd. I get paid around the 24th, so when I see I've been paid, I pay off my credit card bill. Nice and easy and I don't have a load of loose change in my pockets.
    I might have £20 cash in my wallet, but often nothing.
    Devon.