Forum home Problem solving

Growing succulents from cuttings

Hi, I’ve been trying to grow succulents from some cuttings I took from the mother plant. They are not doing well, and I’m not sure whether I’m over or under watering... is it possible to tell from this pic? Any advice? Can these ones recover or have they had it? Thank you for your help.

• The pic didn’t attach... trying again... 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,387
    A couple of those look OK.I would take out the ones that are obviously not doing well.
    Did you let the ends callous over before planting?
    If in doubt don't water.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,536
    When you say cuttings were they rooted offsets? It's a little early in the year to take them at the moment unless you have a grow light but the usual technique with aloes is to pot up a rooted offset into dry soil and not water for a couple of weeks to encourage it to put out more root to look for water. Water sparingly when the leaves begin to get soft. Use the biggest offsets you can find and make sure they're watered a week or so in advance and the leaves are nice and plump. If you have more I'd wait until spring to try again.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Thanks guys. I really should have researched all of this before just plopping then in some soil and hoping for the best! A lesson for the future :) 
  • AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 157
    I let the ends callus over for a couple of days, then put them in dry gritty compost for a few more days, then water sparingly, letting the compost dry out between waterings. Seems to work! They're different to non-succulents, which you need to keep moist otherwise they'll dry out so pot up straight away- with succulents, you need to let them heal then keep on the dry side otherwise they'll rot...