Forum home Tools and techniques

Any use for these plastic thingies?

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 436
Hi

I know there are lots of inventive folk in the GW community, so does anyone have a use for the plastic things that companies use to send out plug plants?  I've hung onto a few in case inspiration strikes, but so far they are just gathering dust.

Locally our recycling collection here in Aberdeenshire takes black plastic but the sceptic in me thinks that's just so they can up the rate of recycling collected at the roadside, and I bet they chuck it in landfill really.

So, any ideas please?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,366
    Sorry, can't help you there. I, too, had some recently but just couldn't think of any use for them. Re-use them yourself for seed sowing perhaps?
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,594
    Could you cut them into individual bits and put them on top of canes to avoid poking your eye out? Ive never had them so I dont know if it's practical.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,340
    edited February 2020
    Knuckledusters.
    Toe separators when painting your nails.
    Christmas decorations.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TheSouthernGardenerTheSouthernGardener Munster, Ireland.Posts: 64
      Cut off the last 'W' and you've got yourself a free 'Wonder Woman' logo.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 436
    pansyface said:
    Knuckledusters.
    Toe separators when painting your nails.
    Christmas decorations.
    I'd go with knuckledusters but not the other two. Wonder what that says about me! Though of course I'd only use the knuckledusters with the Wonderwoman logo in tow!  :D
  • Hang them on string as bird scarers?

I put large plastic bottles upside down on top of canes around my garden to put moles off. They are a nightmare around here. Seems to work as the cat brings a mole in as a "pressie for Mum" every so often but I never have mole hills.
    The local croquet club has to pay a mole catcher £25.00 per mole he traps! Yuck.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,340
    And I bet the mole catcher is careful not to catch every mole. Don’t want to do yourself out of a job, do you?😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 436

So, any ideas please?

Check out the Pollen Grains thread.........you may be inspired :D  
    I went because you piqued my curiosity, and I laughed and nodded sagely in equal measure! :)