Forum home The potting shed

Garden shed security

Looking to fit some security in my garden shed, alarm, intruder alert etc . If anybody can advise me on this would be very grateful.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,796
    A few years ago our local police station (since closed) was handing out shed alarms very similar to this one.

They definitely work. Only two problems. Firstly, they work on batteries and we at least kept forgetting to renew them.

Secondly, does anybody ever act upon the sound of an alarm? We had a burglar alarm installed in our house a few years ago.  Not long afterwards and while still learning how to set it properly, we went out for the day. Came back to find it screaming its head off.  Our only two neighbours within earshot told us the next day that yes, they had heard a dreadful racket coming from our house....
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,266
    We totally ignore any burglar alarms that go off around here and dismantled the one on this house. Waste of time and money in our opinion. Our cat used to set off the alarm in our old house which drove the neighbours mad (but they never complained to us!) and the alarm on the house opposite us is frequently triggered just by the wind.

We do keep our shed and gates padlocked though all the time. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,777
    edited February 2020
    Car alarms can be triggered by anything. I find it extremely irritating to hear such strident alarms go off at any time of day (or---worse---night) for no apparent reason at all, and no action at all from the car owner. Such useless and obnoxious alarms should be made illegal, IMHO.
    Papi Jo, in grumbling mode.
    PS.- @pansyface wrote "A few years ago our local police station (since closed) was handing out shed alarms very similar to this one."
    I personally would prefer the protection of a local police station (still operating) to the phony protection of an electronic device made in China. >:)
    Were your local police suggesting that the residents should buy and use those alarms as a replacement for the police?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    We never wanted to have a burglar alarm. We already had CCTV, which is excellent and has been “borrowed” by the local constabulary on several occasions.

No, it was our insurance company that insisted we have a burglar alarm. Useless things.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,777
    pansyface said:
    [...]
    No, it was our insurance company that insisted we have a burglar alarm. Useless things.
    By "useless things" I guess you mean the insurance companies?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    😊
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,165
    You might find something here @jackrussell28
    https://diygarden.co.uk/best-shed-alarm/
    Failing that, a German Shepherd or Rottweiler might do the trick.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,480
    One thing you can do to help is to put well secured wire netting (chicken wire is good enough) on the inside of any windows in a shed.
    You cannot really stop the determined thief, but you can slow them down.
    I assume everyone knows to mark all things stored in a shed with your post code etc in invisible ink.
  •  I usually sleep through alarms, but always wake if I hear my dog barking.