Forum home The potting shed

What do you do in the rain?

I was just wondering what people do in their gardens/plots when its raining at this time of year. I haven't got much cover, aside from a small shed (which needs a good sort out, so that's what I'll be doing :( ).
Aside from that and having a cuppa while we wait for the rain to stop, are there any other jobs that anyone could suggest? I want to get to planting when the weather breaks and spring actually arrives, so I'm hoping to get some other routine maintenance type jobs done by mid march.
What's everyone else up to at the minute?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,137
    Hide in the polytunnel until the noise of the wind and rain drive me out, then I'm just really grumpy.
    Devon.
  • I wish I had a polytunnel or greenhouse. I'd take the noise just to be able to do something other than tidying & sorting. I've only got a small veg patch at the back of the garden, and no space to put another structure up.
    I really get frustrated at this time of year, as I work 9-5 so not much light in the mornings or after work, and the weather has been awful on the weekends. 
    Roll on the spring/summer.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,137
    The noise inside is like being inside a drum , it's horrendous. lol
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,197
    I work in the greenhouse while wishing I had a larger greenhouse. A lot of plants have had a slightly early repot this year :# Other than that I've got a wide-brimmed water-proof hat and full waterproofs and I can work outside for a couple of hours without getting wet if it's not too windy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,334
    On really rainy days I can be found in the garage, trying to bring some order to the chaos that the love of my life says is his “system”.

This is a man who, when he was running a multi million pound business, had a folder in a filing cabinet marked “I”.

As in “I for Important”.

Fortunately, he had a PA who understood the way his mind worked.🙄
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Worst part about my shed is its that full and disorganised that I really need a fine day to sort it properly. :s 
    It really annoys me when I'm in work and it looks dry out the window, then as I go to leave at the end of the day thinking I'll get an hour outside in, it starts raining again.
    I love the rain when it saves me watering the garden, but hate it when it stops me getting out in the garden. Why cant someone invent a way to control the weather. :D
  • sounds like my kind of filing system pansyface. :D
  • i've been sorting my seed drawer out,
    ordering what seeds I need for this year,
    planning out what i'm planting where at my allotment
    figuring out how to put terracing in at my allotment.
    trying to keep a kitten entertained (and stop her ripping up all my lists and plans)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    When I worked and could only garden at weekends I just got on with what I could in the rain but then I had a small suburban garden only 80' x 20' plus a small front garden so it was OK.   

Now retired I can be a fair weather gardener so a lot of drawing, imagining, occasional drawing of lists and plans goes on, sometimes even pot washing and shed tidying.   Other than that I have plenty of indoor hobbies and jobs to do.

It's dry here today but the ground is too wet for weeding, planting, lifting and dividing so a bit of patience is needed even now.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,571
    I procrastinate. I do it when it's dry too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.