Forum home The potting shed

getting Rid of Grass between allotment beds

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
Someone has suggested using salt and vinegar on the grass

Im gullible but has anyone ever used them before.

Yes I know you can use them on chips !!

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• AstroAstro Posts: 328
    I'd use a hoe.I've used vinegar in the past but it works best in direct sun and I just sprayed foliage. I believe using salt isn't advised as it's damaging qualities can spread. You'll likely be advised to use a dedicated grass killer. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
    I have tried to find one for grass but they all seem to be for weeds of various types.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,769
    I wouldn't put either of those anywhere near my garden, they are really tough on wildlife. Could you take up the grass and then put down a thick layer of bark chippings? I believe you can buy strips of a sort of heavy mesh for making paths, too. 
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 383
    I like cardboard covered in wood mulch.  Both are biodegradable and they don't harm the environment.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,079
    There is a weedkiller based on extract f geranium root, but it's expensive & you need quite a lot of it. I agree with @jamesholt. Salt especially will poison your soil and leach into the growing areas.
    AB Still learning

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,990
    And vinegar is highly acidic, in the concentration needed to kill weeds, so you may affect the pH of your veg beds by using it - as well as harming beneficial soil organisms.  Much better to go down the "green" route and use cardboard covered with bark chippings.  You could skim off the turf first, and stack it to rot down for potting mix.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Just put stuff on top of the grass. Thick mulch, cardboard, carpet, weed membrane, anything really. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
    Got some cardboard from the local bike shop that he has his bikes delivered in and sized them and laid them on the paths and weighed down with stones.

Realised I was being a Lazy **** and Manned Up.

Thanks folks.