Forum home Problem solving

What is this on my Red Sorrel?

The plant is on my window ledge. Thanks 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    Look like whitefly.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • How do I get rid it ?

thanks 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235
    You've been coddling it indoors and that encourages pests.

Grow the plant outside in the ground where it belongs.  It's a herbaceous perennial that is used for flavouring salads, sauces and soups.  It likes moist but well-drained soil in sun or slight shade.   

Try putting yours out by day - after rinsing off all those whitefly - and bring it back in at night until it's hardened off.  That should sort out the whitefly and also make it more sturdy and ready for life outside.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I was told to keep a herb garden to help with my depression...all my herbs have been sat on my windowsill...

what do I do about my Fever Few, Banana mint, ? 

My catnip died...
    Herbs are generally hardy plants which want to be outside in the elements.  For indoor herbs I'd stick with parsley and basil and lemon grass.

Feverfew is definitely hardy and so are mints tho I've never met banana mint before so I looked it up and it's hardy too and likes a moist but not sodden soil.  It's flowers are great for bees.

Maybe try and set up a herb garden outside but handy for your front or back door where they'll be happier and then grow some houseplants indoors instead.  There's a medical practice in Hulme, Manchester prescribing houseplants for depression and studies in various universities show they help with anxiety, stress and depression.  Have a read of this article and see if the plants mentioned will be good for you too - https://www.treehugger.com/green-home/7-happy-houseplants-beat-winter-blues.html
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks, Guess tomorrow then I’ll plant them outside...I’ll look at getting some more house plants...I already have a spider plant 

Will the whitefly just die off if I put them outside? 

I rinsed off the Red Sorrel and re-potted it but it looks a bit droopy now :( I hope I’ve not killed it...
    Don't just put them outside without hardening them off.  They need a couple of weeks to get used to the colder temperatures.  See post above.   The whitefly won't like it outside so just keep rinsing them off as you see them but make sure the plant drain completely before putting it back in its cache-pot or saucer.
  • Obelixx said:
    Don't just put them outside without hardening them off.  They need a couple of weeks to get used to the colder temperatures.  See post above.   The whitefly won't like it outside so just keep rinsing them off as you see them but make sure the plant drain completely before putting it back in its cache-pot or saucer.
    I’ll put them in my shed and bring them out in the garden in the morning.