Forum home Problem solving

Human composting

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227
A nice example of nominative determinism here. Professor Carpenter-Boggs responsible for soil research.

I like the sound of this idea generally. Not so sure about the recycled pacemakers and artificial hips. For those old enough to remember,  retreads were never up to much, were they?😊

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/16/human-composting-could-be-the-future-of-deathcare

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,870
    Interesting idea, Pansyface...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Sounds like the best of a bad job I hope it works out cheaper than the cost of burial or cremation it may take off.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    We were talking about this only the other night @pansyface Having been in the job of undertaking, grave digging, headstone making and other aspects, we were saying that it’s about time people just hired a coffin for the service and then returned them instead of sending the horrible glue and MDF to the crem or burying them. Most are lined with plastic. The composting idea is very good, there’s going to be so many people needing some kind of burial in the future with the ever growing population, the churchyards are already full, I would think towns only do cremations now. It will be many years before anything will change though.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227
    I’m sure that Levington’s or someone will see a business opportunity.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    It will be peatless anyway. 
    They will have to be careful how the handle this though, anyone died of a rat related disease won’t be able to be composted and in this day and age where people are getting soft about killing off rats it could get complicated. 
    When someone in our village died of
    Leptospirosis, the undertakers were reluctant to handle him. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I guess people buried (without embalming) will compost anyway, but good to speed up the process, for sure. This mushroom burial suit would help, too.

I had no idea until recently that embalming (formaldehyde)  is still offered as part of the standard package, which is entirely nuts. But then monopolised funeral care companies in this country is another rant. So exploitative of grieving people in shock. I got "I assume you will be wanting a six limo cortege"? How many people have the energy or clarity to argue every point with a funeral director? I was prepared, from organising previous experience.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227
    That mushroom suit is probably seeded with athlete’s foot spores, fire.😊

Funny place to choose though, don’t you think? The middle of a shopping centre?Some people are such exhibitionists.🙄
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Fire said:
    I guess people buried (without embalming) will compost anyway, but good to speed up the process, for sure. This mushroom burial suit would help, too.

I had no idea until recently that embalming (formaldehyde)  is still offered as part of the standard package, which is entirely nuts. But then monopolised funeral care companies in this country is another rant. So exploitative of grieving people in shock. I got "I assume you will be wanting a six limo cortege"? How many people have the energy or clarity to argue every point with a funeral director? I was prepared, from organising previous experience.

Every body is embalmed in funeral homes here, unless they are being cremated 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Every body is embalmed in funeral homes here, unless they are being cremated.
    Wow @Mary370 - No options?
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    No.........its standard procedure.....only discovered this last year while organising  a funeral