Forum home Problem solving

hedging around chain fence

Hi just had my wood panel fence blown down by the storms. Am thinking of replacing with a chain link fence & planting young cherry laurels next to it. The idea is to have a large hedge eventually but need the security of the fence while plants establish. Any advice or alternatives?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,173
    With its natural height being around twenty feet or more, a cherry laurel hedge will certainly provide you with “big”. Whether you are up to keeping it in check, if twenty feet is not quite what you had in mind, only you know.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    Hi @lavinpatrick3. I'd agree with @pansyface that cherry laurel gets very big, and not just vertically, so you need a decent amount of room to accommodate it and get the best result from it.
    There are plenty of alternatives, like Beech, Hornbeam and good ol' Privet, as well as Yew, Holly and Thuja. There are also things like Eleagnus, Berberis, Pyracantha and Mahonia. All will provide dense cover and will get to a good size, some more quickly than others.
    It really comes down to your soil conditions and climate, and how much time you want to spend in maintenance  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• looking at a chain link of approx 6ft tall & would want the laurels to reach just over at @ 8ft & keep it at that height. Not in great rush for the screening as such. Not sure whether to go for the small pot grown ones @ 90 cm or 3-4 foot bare roots. Not a huge difference price wise if i get to the desired height a bit quicker. Do bare root ones fail very often?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,173
    Before you go rushing off to the shops, spare a moment to read what Monty Don has to say about cherry laurel.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.