Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogs are loving storm Dennis

• Aw lovely. 
    I keep going out with the camera because last year I heard a collective croaking and saw a sea of eyes peering out at me and wished I had a picture.
    Today is the first day I have noticed 'frogular' activity in our pond. 
    This morning I went out and the pond was still.  4.30pm went to the shed and there was some splashing.  Went over to see a couple of frogs piggybacking and one of the fish resting.
    Actually was going to post if anyone knew what is going on with this frog?
    I noticed it had 2 globes of white on its lower back that seem jelly-like, not growths, at first i though it was spawn but I wonder if it is disease?
    Maybe you would know Crazyfroglady ?

• I am so jealous of all you frog owners.  I have tried for 3 years to get frogs in our pond - each time I introduce tadpoles they disappear, probably giving a feast for the newts or dragonfly lava.
  • Found 1 clump of spawn in pond this morning - no sign of any frogs.  Do frogs just lay on one night or are they likely to come back & lay more? Any advice would be welcome
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    Same here @Guernsey Donkey2! I've lived here for 23 years and have never had frog spawn appear in the pond. I've twice put in spawn from a friend's pond and the tadpoles have grown into frogs but they've never come back. I do occasionally see frogs in the garden though.
  • Della84 said:
    Aw lovely. 
    I keep going out with the camera because last year I heard a collective croaking and saw a sea of eyes peering out at me and wished I had a picture.
    Today is the first day I have noticed 'frogular' activity in our pond. 
    This morning I went out and the pond was still.  4.30pm went to the shed and there was some splashing.  Went over to see a couple of frogs piggybacking and one of the fish resting.
    Actually was going to post if anyone knew what is going on with this frog?
    I noticed it had 2 globes of white on its lower back that seem jelly-like, not growths, at first i though it was spawn but I wonder if it is disease?
    Maybe you would know Crazyfroglady ?

Unfortunately i’m no frog expert I just really like them 🤣. Hopefully someone on this forum can help identify what is going on with your frog.
  • NickG61 said:
    Found 1 clump of spawn in pond this morning - no sign of any frogs.  Do frogs just lay on one night or are they likely to come back & lay more? Any advice would be welcome
    Our pond has been a hive of activity this weekend, we saw the first blob of spawn on Saturday morning and it’s still busy out there tonight, even tho the temperature has dropped a bit. We are very lucky that our pond is close to the back of the house, so we can watch them from inside without disturbing them. If we open the back door they all hide and go quiet, so maybe yours are in the pond but hide when they sense you coming. Fingers crossed you get more spawn tonight.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    I checked the ditch up in the woods and the frogs have spawned here too. I wonder if they like to spawn in a storm because they might get some spawn that gets washed away to other ponds down stream? I guess that might be a bit hit and miss as a dispersal technique though.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Checked my pond again today but no spawn yet. Very quiet on the frog front. Unusual because in previous years my frogs and toads have spawned much too early for my liking, then it has been destroyed by late frosts. Fingers crossed they will soon "be at it".
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    The frogs are gathering in the pond, but we are not yet up to full gang bang mode.