Forum home Problem solving

Rose Pruning

I did some early pruning on my roses (climbing and bush) a few weeks ago.  Now shoots have appeared.  This seems very early to me, I assume it is the mild ish weather (Merseyside, North West).
Can I prune further, removing some of the shoots, or should I leave asis?
Note that i'm relatively new to gardening. 
Cheers,
Dave

• Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
    I am new to pruning roses too and have a different question. I appear to have acquired a Claire Austin Climbing Rose instead of a standard rose! Don’t ask! Can you prune a Climber to stay as a tallish shrub rose, otherwise it will have to go as I do not have room for another climber. Thank you. Peta
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,580
    edited February 2020
    Dave - If you've got the roses to the shape and size you want, I think I'd leave as is for now. If there's a sharp frost and the new buds are damaged you can always prune later. 

PTA - You can try to prune it as a large shrub rose but I suspect the new growth will always be a bit too long and whippy to be a successful shrub. However, the fact they grafted this rose to make a standard may mean it's less whippy than other climbers. 

I think though that a large shrub rose could easily occupy more room than a climbing rose trained round a post or an obelisk. If you're limited for space, had you thought of doing that?

Claire Austin is a lovely rose - seems a shame not to try to give her a space in your garden. You've bought her now - not much to lose is there?
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks Topbird, I'll do as you say.
    Cheers, Dave
  • Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
    Thank you Topbird. Will see how it goes this summer
    Pta
  • Can anyone help, I have a Rose “Miss Schweiz” that grows in a container, and it’s grown quite tall and leggy. I’m new to pruning Roses, so can anyone advise when and how I should prune it to try to encourage it to be bushier?
    any advice on pruning is welcome as I’m quite nervous of it for some reason.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I suggest you have a read of this infor from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=178

When you've finished, give your rose a good handful of slow release fertiliser for roses and when you wtar the pot, give it an occasional liquid feed for roses or tomatoes.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw