What to sow

HJ68HJ68 Posts: 4
I am going to be spending 6 months in Normandy with (non-gardening) friends and am determined to bring some colour to their garden in the time I have there (and hopefully leave a legacy that they could easily carry on!). I will be going May-October, there is about 1/2 acre and the soil is clay, the climate is similar to S/W England. The price of plants over there is high, so my starting point is annual seeds, and some biannuals/perennials. I would be grateful for any advice.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,192
    Hello Helen  :)
    Do you have any particular colour scheme in mind ? Also, is it sunny or shady site ?
  • HJ68HJ68 Posts: 4
    Hi AnniD. Colour isn't important, and the garden is mainly West facing (I think!) but is quite large so has both sunny and shady parts. It is a flat expanse of lawn mainly with a few buddleias along one fence and a couple of small (new) fruit trees
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,192
    With such a blank canvas, l would suggest you maybe have a look at Chiltern seeds website (other seed companies are available !).
    They have all the usual seeds plus some more unusual ones,  both annuals and perennials. 
    https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/

The problem you might have with clay soil, is that it may well require some improvement before you start to sow
    https://www.daviddomoney.com/best-plants-clay-soil-grow-full-sun-partial-shade/
    I'm sure others will have advice! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,797
    Try local markets when you get there and some of the garden centre chains will have trays of annuals, biennials that won't break the bank - France Rurale, Gamm' Vert, Ma Campagne and even the big supermarkets have trays of plants tho often in a sorry state.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,252
    Do you have their permission and agreement for you to alter their gardens ?
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    Thanks Obelixx, I will check out local markets, but I was hoping to spend as little as possible, seeds being the cheapest. I was thinking of taking some cuttings from my garden with me but I am not sure it's allowed! (Introducing British bugs into Normandy)
    NewBoy2 said:
    Do you have their permission and agreement for you to alter their gardens ?
    Hi NewBoy2. Yes I do have permission!