Forum home Problem solving

Viburnum plicatum looking unhappy a week after planting out - help please!

clarehnzclarehnz New Zealand (North Island)Posts: 10
I found a discussion from 2017-2018 about V. plicatum dying back with curled leaves. There were some suggestions but no updates on how anyone's plants had done. However, I thought I should start a new thread as several years have now passed.

I'm in NZ (so we're in the middle of summer) and have recently planted out a V. plicatum "Summer Snowflake". I dug it a nice wide planting hole, improved the soil and gave a light sprinkle of long acting fertiliser beads. I watered it in well and have been watering it daily as it's been warm and slightly breezy. I also put stakes around it with protective woven cloth so I could protect it from the breeze as it was settling in. (photo 1)
However, after a week several of the leaves are curling from the tips (upwards and inwards) and have become very brittle and crisp. I'm not sure if the plant is too dry, has caught the wind or if this is aphid or thrip damage. (photo 2)
Otherwise the plant is still looking OK (photo 3) but more leaves have suffered overnight.

It's an overcast day today, so have given it a good spray all over with conqueror oil in case it's pests, with repeat sprays planned over the next week or 2.
Any help would be much appreciated as I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,818
    *Bump* in the hope there is someone who knows about this plant  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,143
    edited 15 February
    I've always found Viburnums do best in partial or dappled shade ... I suspect yours may be a bit scorched. 

There's no point in spraying unless you've identified a pest, and you risk harming the beneficial insects.  

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 542
    I agree with dovefromabove. Shade is preferable. I also think your plant may be too well protected and is not getting enough air through it. Can you move it somewhere in to dappled shade, but sheltered from strong winds.
    What is your soil like under the pebbles? Does it drain freely?
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)