Forum home Plants

Chinese cabbage

B3B3 Posts: 14,331
Do they really only take two months to grow?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• The only time I've tried them was in SW France.  I found they didn't heart up as they should have done and got fed up waiting for them.  A shame as I do like them.
    Be interesting to know how you get on with them.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,331
    Were you able to eat them anyway?
  • It was a good few years ago but I doubt I would have wasted what was produced - altho I knew they were "long term " veg., I just remember being a bit disappointed with the results.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,873
    edited 14 February
    They always bolt for me so I've given up but yes, I think you need to grow them very fast to stand a chance. Think of them as lettuce and you'll be in the right ball park
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
    Ok. They contain a lot of water so i suppose keeping them them well watered will be an issue too. I think I'll try a few in a container.
    Thanks for advice  chaps 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,143
    Sow them after midsummer when the days are getting shorter ... then they won’t bolt. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Right O 😊
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,873
    Sow them after midsummer when the days are getting shorter ... then they won’t bolt. 
    Nope - still bolted. I think they need more water than I can provide. When water is provided without my interference (as it was this autumn), there's not enough light, so they bolt anyway. I've tried them 3 years with different timing and different conditions with the same result.

Note: I can't grow lettuce most of the time either. It's me, not the Chinese cabbage. So don't let my failure put you off   :smile:
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,661
    @raisingirl Try growing as 'baby leaves' or 'cut and come again' which, as long as you keep cutting, should be less likely to bolt especially if planted after midsummer.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    I like that idea @BobTheGardener. I only use a few leaves at a time anyway.