Forum home Tools and techniques

Plastic shed bases

Does anyone have experience of laying a plastic shed base instead of preparing a concrete or slab base? Does it provide the expected strong, sturdy and long-lasting stand that required? Also, was it less expensive and time-saving?

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,399
    Do you mean that you have a wooden shed and are putting it on a plastic base, or is the base of the shed itself made from plastic?  We have a wooden shed in our garden, and we used plastic gravel grids as a base.  They have worked very well, as they allow any water to drain away, and reduce the risk of rotting.  If you are thinking of using a solid plastic base, I would be concerned about lack of air flow, which is necessary, to reduce condensation and the risk of rot.  An alternative option would be to use cheap concrete paving slabs, which we used below our allotment shed.  We have still allowed a couple of inches clearance, so there is ventilation below the shed.  Hope that helps.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,743
    I placed my wooden shed on a sheet of tough plastic sheeting to stop the weeds and then on a pallet that I levelled and that was 8 years ago.

Still all good.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.