Wind damaged buddleia

edited 13 February in Problem solving
The recent storm has blown my lovely Buddleia plant right over. It was standing upright against the fence and is now almost completely horizontal.It looks as though the base has split in half. Is there any way I can save it?
im absolutely gutted. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,061
    WElcome to the forum.
    The advice is to cut them in half in Autumn to stop this happening, but cut it down to about 12" and it'll very probably come back.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,192
    edited 13 February
    I feel your pain Kimberley. 
    Welcome to the forum by the way  :)
    From what l can make out, it may be too badly damaged to save, but there may be someone on here who has managed to save one in the past. 
    The only thing that l can suggest is to maybe take cuttings from it 
    https://www.pyracantha.co.uk/how-to-take-buddleia-cuttings-growing-butterfly-bushes/
  • Looking at the size of the trunk, yes you may have lost all the top growth but I'd be very surprised if you didn't get shoots coming up from the base - Buddleias are notoriously hard to kill :)
  • I suspect it'll be fine you you make a clean cut where the break is. Buddleia is practically immortal. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,077
    It's tough but once the roots are wobbly it's hard to get stable again. I have had to sign off several. But they're so quick it doesn't take long to get another one going

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,037
    I'd take cuttings, as the original looks a bit too far gone. Nothing to lose by hacking it back though. They are pretty indestructible.
    Cuttings are  very easy to do, and strike readily without much attention or care. A few pieces about 6 or 8 inches, cut below a joint for the bottom end, and above one for the top, put them round the edge of a 6 inch pot of any old soil or compost. You can cut any top leaves in half too.
    Just stick the pot somewhere and let them get on with it. 
    Good luck with both scenarios :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,067
    Fairygirl said:
    I'd take cuttings
    You've reminded me I've been meaning to take cuttings from a white buddleia that grows on a local industrial estate. I might go and do that tomorrow before I forget again.

• We dug ours up a while ago ( new house and very old buddleia  and leaning to one side) but I took some cuttings as Fairygirl suggested ( have never done it before) ,stuck them in the  cold frame , occasional watering and most have taken very well.