Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wood Pigeon activity

Just noticed this morning one of the resident pairs of wood pigeons mating.......

Seems a few weeks early.... I know our seasons are becoming out of sync but does seem a little too early we are in south east Oxfordshire

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,339
    St. Valentine’s Day tomorrow ... tradition is that the date was chosen as that’s when the birds choose their mates ... I believe both Chaucer and Shakespeare wrote about it. 

However I don’t think the woodies around here know their Eng. Lit. ... they’ve been amorous since at least New Year ... 🥰😉
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,497
    Pigeons don't have a breeding season, they'll nest all year round if food supplies allow.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • :)  Ah Ha that makes sense wild edges but love Dove's theory of St Val
    I’m such a romantic 🥰🙃
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 21,443
    I've never noticed fledgelings or immature ones though. We've an overabundance  of adults.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    By the time they fledge they’re as big as and look more or less like adults. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,497
    A lot like humans in that respect :|
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,934
    That's why we never see baby pigeons.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,424
    edited February 2020
    They nested under the railway bridge on the minor road between my former home and the shops.  You could hear baby pigeons cheeping more or less all year round...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • were they wood pigeons or the grey city pigeon ?  Not the prettiest of babies

Image result for image of baby wood pigeon