Forum home Problem solving

New grass fertilizer

JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 45
Evening folks 

Just looking for some advice on what's the best fertilizer to use on newly sown  grass ?
I have an area of about 120 sqm that's I shall be sowing with new grass seed once the weather warms up but would like to know what's the best fertilizer to use once the grass has came through the soil or if to use a fertilizer at the same time when I sow the grass seed ?
Any advice would be much appreciated .

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,839
    *Bump* and a shout to @glasgowdan :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,268
    I think I’m correct in saying that the recommended way is to add fertiliser when you’re preparing the seedbed before sowing ... but yes, @glasgowdan is one of the most experienced on here re lawns so hopefully he’ll see this and pop in. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,674
    That's a difficult question to answer without knowing what your soil is like.  Unless it is very nutrient-poor then it's probably best to add nothing for the first few months so that the roots can establish properly.  Adding high nitrate fertilizers early is likely to damage young seedlings or make them grow blades too quickly without sufficient roots to support them in dry periods.  Personally, my effort would go into improving the soil (if necessary) by digging (or rotavating) in well-rotted manure (or garden compost and fish, blood and bone) which will keep it in good health for several years before extra top feeding becomes necessary.  Lots of work though.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,268
    I agree with it  @BobTheGardener ... it should be FB&B and or well rotted manure or compost. Not a high nitrogen ‘artificial’ fertiliser. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,770
    You would use a pre seed fertiliser which are high in phosphates for root development. You could use an organic fertiliser which bonemeal would be the best to go for. 

Its not recommended to feed a new lawn as Bob has pointed out. 

I've personally never used a pre seed fertiliser on any lawns I've laid or seeded, unless your soil is on the sandy side where nutrients can leach out it isn't necessary,  If you have leveled the with a thin layer of top soil they is more than enough nutrients in that alone for newly re seeded grass.