Recycling pitfalls

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,385
Hmmm 🤔 

Id not thought about this ... a growing problem apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/mattress-landfill-crisis-recycling-nightmare
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,294
    One of the paradoxical problems with recycling is that it creates more waste because people aren't worried about throwing things away anymore. At least those are recycled and not just chucked into the stream like people have been doing around here :| I did always wonder what happens to those try before you buy matresses though.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,148
    There’s an answer to everything if you just look hard enough

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-51466978/how-mattresses-could-solve-hunger

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,231
    I’d just like the bin men to pick up our refuse, 6 weeks now, could be 8. Fortunately it’s only 3 small bags but at £50.00 a week I’d like it collected. No chance of getting rid of a mattress around here.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 280
    Lyn said:
    I’d just like the bin men to pick up our refuse, 6 weeks now, could be 8. Fortunately it’s only 3 small bags but at £50.00 a week I’d like it collected. No chance of getting rid of a mattress around here.

Really?.. jeez.. there's gotta be business oppotunity there surely?
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,553
    At least traditional sprung mattresses contain some recyclable materials.  As far as I can see, the ones that are sold online are 100% synthetic - the wrong idea at the wrong time.  I've been known to scavenge the coconut fibre and wool shoddy from a mattress dumped in a public place.  They can be composted or used as they are for mulching, or for lining hanging baskets.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,294
    Rik56 said:
    Lyn said:

Really?.. jeez.. there's gotta be business oppotunity there surely?
    Apparently there is... 

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 630
    There's too much focus on recycling and not enough on reducing material usage. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,613
    I've just had to bin a CO monitor as it contains a " non recyclable lithium battery" 
    Seems wrong chucking Lithium into landfill.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,385
    Can you not put the monitor into 'small electricals' recycling?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,613
    Can you not put the monitor into 'small electricals' recycling?
    no such option available here
    Devon.