Forum home Problem solving

House Plants for Cold and Dark Hallway

I have finally finished building a steel and wood staircase in my hallway. It is in an old dark terrace house with only a small window above the door and I cannot afford to have the heating on all day. It averages about 15C in the winter.

I would like some plants, ideally a trailing one to replace the aged one in the pic which doesnt look too happy, one to go in the corner of the small landing at top of stairs (1m x 1m) and some small plants in pots which I will hang on the wall in a container about 50cm x 10 x 10 cm or 50x15x15.

Any suggestions or comment would be a help

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,034

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,115
    Ivy? (Hedera)
    Devil's Ivy? (Epipremnum aureum)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,143
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,166
    Nice staircase...   :)  ...but sorry, I'm not very good on houseplants - I'd have suggested tradescantia (the aged one in your photo - can be rejuvenated by taking cuttings of the tips and discarding the rest) or a spider plant, Chlorophytum, which is pretty indestructible.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,886
    Aspidistra's like the dark.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,143
    Fire said:
    Aspidistra's like the dark.
    And they don’t mind cooler temperatures. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh