Is it too late for new tree heather plant?

Hi. Just noticed in the last couple of days that the young tree heather (erica arborea) I had planted a few months back looks all brown with just a very small few green leaves left on the side aiming away from the strong westerly wind we have been getting recently. The way it was moving in the wind makes me think it was wind rocking that disturbed the roots before it had time to settle in its new position. I have put a mound of mulch around the base to see if this will help stabilise it and help it recover but was wondering if there was anything else I could do or is it simply too late to save it at this stage. It had developed a few brown branches already a few weeks back and in hindsight I should have applied the mulch earlier. It was not an expensive plant as I got it in the clearance section of the local garden centre but any advice would be much appreciated.
All the best.

• If you only planted it a few months back and the roots haven't settled, you could always take it up, pot it and put in a more sheltered spot until such time as you can see what it's chances are and possibly replant when the weather suits ?
    It's one of those "suck it and see" dilemmas  really - depends on how keen you are to save it ? 
  • If you only planted it a few months back and the roots haven't settled, you could always take it up, pot it and put in a more sheltered spot until such time as you can see what it's chances are and possibly replant when the weather suits ?
    It's one of those "suck it and see" dilemmas  really - depends on how keen you are to save it ? 

Thanks for the suggestion. No experience with growing heather myself so not sure what is the best thing to do. I would have thought digging it up at this stage might be enough to finish it off. I think it is a bit more stable now with the mulch built up around it. It's not the most exposed place in the garden and it is more the bad weather we have got in the last few days seems to be the issue. Will moving it give it a better chance of recovery?