Forum home The potting shed

How can I get rid of this annoying pop-up?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,582
Every time I click on a post to read, this box pops up:

I have no idea why, but keep dismissing it as I don’t know what it is but it is very persistent! I have tried logging in and out of both the forum and GW main site, powered down my ipad, but no luck.

Anyone else getting this or have any ideas how to get rid?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,034
    Anything to do with computer-speak is gobbledegook to me, but this might make sense to you.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/strange-download-pop-up-index-html-bug-or-malware.2222180/

😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,582
    @pansyface, much of it is gobbledygook to me too, but brilliant, thanks, that forum seemed to think it was a safari browser update issue, so I stabbed at a few options on the safari menu, including clearing my browsing history, temporarily blocking and unblocking cookies and resetting security preferences and something I think (fingers crossed) has worked, it seems to have gone...  :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,034
    Hooray.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Very belated apologies @Rik56 for not thanking you for your advice. The damn pop up thing came back again plus another one, only on this site and nowhere else. So I came off the forum for a few weeks in a huff. All seems to be sorted on it’s own now (or GW updated their malware, maybe) so I’m back!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,456
    I have had an ongoing battle with the Bristol and London offices of Immediate Media about the pop up that appears every time I log into GW

I say this quietly but it did not appear today

They blinded me with detailed requests about my PC and which platforms I was using so they won in the end.
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    Fingers crossed for you it’s gone @NewBoy2. I do have intermittent problems with just this site, it does seem a bit unstable compared to many. When my internet is slow, which is often, it’s painfully slow to browse as well. Still, wouldn’t be without it!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,344
    If you get annoying pop ups, check first that your pop up settings are correct, if it still happens, install an ad blocker, if you don’t want to use it permanently, just install it  for a couple of days. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks @Lyn, pop ups are blocked but this was a malware type thing that bypassed that, not a product ad. The embedded ads are irritating sometimes, but I manage to ignore them, mostly, and understand it is a way to fund a free service. If it happens again I will definitely need to do something.