Forum home Problem solving

Lawn

Hi all. Very little experience of looking after a lawn although I did lay a new turf lawn for my parents some
years ago.
I have a very uneven weed ridden lawn and feel like I am the stage where I want to cut away the existing lawn rotavate and topsoil then turf. 
I guess I’m asking experience people thoughts on this? 
If I do this am I better off using turf cutter or killing lawn?

any advice welcome
thank you
chris 

• Think @glasgowdan is one of the folk you need to talk to ... hopefully he'll see this and pop in 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Wait until late March, weedkill the lot, rotovate and seed,  then look after the seed and provide good conditions for it's growth 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,020
    For a bit more detail about how to prepare for seeding a new lawn, have a look at this page form the RHS - click on the appropriate box for seeding a new lawn and then, when it's growing, there are boxes for spring and autumn care and so on.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-features/lawns 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  •   Obelixx said:
    For a bit more detail about how to prepare for seeding a new lawn, have a look at this page form the RHS - click on the appropriate box for seeding a new lawn and then, when it's growing, there are boxes for spring and autumn care and so on.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-features/lawns 
    Thanks for this link, very helpful!!! (and it may even reduce some of my inevitable March lawn-related whining on here! :D )
  • Thank you all, very kind 
  • Rik56 said:
    Lawns... so much work for so little return.

Useful reply there... 

I love a nice lawn and so do many others. You can't roll around in a rough weedy wild meadow as there are so many hard stalks and spikes.

A nice lawn really ISN'T a whole lot of work. Maybe if you have a mower that's too small.