Lawn

Hi all. Very little experience of looking after a lawn although I did lay a new turf lawn for my parents some
years ago.
I have a very uneven weed ridden lawn and feel like I am the stage where I want to cut away the existing lawn rotavate and topsoil then turf. 
I guess I’m asking experience people thoughts on this? 
If I do this am I better off using turf cutter or killing lawn?

any advice welcome
thank you
chris 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,599
    Think @glasgowdan is one of the folk you need to talk to ... hopefully he'll see this and pop in 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 626
    Wait until late March, weedkill the lot, rotovate and seed,  then look after the seed and provide good conditions for it's growth 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,799
    For a bit more detail about how to prepare for seeding a new lawn, have a look at this page form the RHS - click on the appropriate box for seeding a new lawn and then, when it's growing, there are boxes for spring and autumn care and so on.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-features/lawns 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 187
    Lawns... so much work for so little return.
  •   Obelixx said:
    For a bit more detail about how to prepare for seeding a new lawn, have a look at this page form the RHS - click on the appropriate box for seeding a new lawn and then, when it's growing, there are boxes for spring and autumn care and so on.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-features/lawns 
    Thanks for this link, very helpful!!! (and it may even reduce some of my inevitable March lawn-related whining on here! :D )
  • Thank you all, very kind 
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 626
    Rik56 said:
    Lawns... so much work for so little return.

Useful reply there... 

I love a nice lawn and so do many others. You can't roll around in a rough weedy wild meadow as there are so many hard stalks and spikes.

A nice lawn really ISN'T a whole lot of work. Maybe if you have a mower that's too small.