Bay Leaf yellow/brown on outer edges - other bay trees fine!

c_watkinsc_watkins MonmouthshirePosts: 23
Hello,

Here are two pictures of the bay leaf from my 5ft tree in a sunny position (well in summer anyway!).  I have four of them, all have been great so far (planted 1.5 yrs ago).  The soil is clay but not horrific clay. No standing water. There is a trellis fence behind the tree. The site faces south west/west. There is a huge cotoneaster nearby, which does shade the site a little, but the tree with the brown edges is furthest away and the others are fine.

Would anyone have an idea of what has happened to these leaves?  They are all over the tree, on the outer edges though not the middle.

I can send a picture of whole thing later if that would help.

Many thanks,
Chris

• c_watkinsc_watkins MonmouthshirePosts: 23
    Whoops I posted in the Potting Shed...no trees in there! Sorry will repost when I figure out how.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,321
    edited 11 February
    @c_watkins. Welcome. It doesn't really matter where you post. Most members go straight to recent discussions.😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    OK thanks!
    A picture of the whole plant and one showing where it is sited might help.
    Thanks B3 here are some. It's the left-most tree of the four.

The curled leaves are caused by aphids( I think that's what they're called. We haven't been formally introduced!) .If you uncurl them, you will see white fluffy stuff. Pick those Leaves off and spray the whole plant with a jet of water. You dont need to be gentle.
    Im not sure about the browning leaves. It could be the same problem or it might be a bit dry.
    Did you notice any tiny insects on the underside of the affected leaves. It could spider mite if the plant is very dry.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,231
    I’ve blown the photo up and can’t see curled leaves, it looks like normal winter decay, these trees grow huge if you leave them so I would wait until March , cut off the offending twigs,  and give them all good prune. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

2nd photo.near lead axil
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,231
    I still can’t see curled leaves or aphid damage, just a few leaves chewed. 
    I cant see a problem with those trees except that they need the height reduced to thicken then at the bottom. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,386
    I agree with @Lyn (and others). Nothing other than a bit of winter weather damage and a bit of a nibble from something when the leaves were younger and more tender had probably resulted in a bit of curling. 
    I certainly can’t see any sign of an infestation ... nothing to worry about ... just a prune needed as Lyn has said. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh