Forum home Problem solving

Red robins help please!

Hi Everyone :smile:
I have 2 sets of red robins and have been caring for them both in the same way over the past 3 years.
One side of my driveway is thriving greatly, whereas the other looks to be struggling to survive. 
Looking for any help and it shall be greatly appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,583
    Probably too little room for roots to expand and seek nutrients and moisture?   Then those bricks will heat up in hot summers and cook the roots and the teeny gap at the top means minimal rain gets in.

Do you ever feed or water them?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I do water them.. what should I feed them?
    Thing is - one side of my driveway looks perfect (healthy roots and also new growth - will get a picture), the other side is struggling. Both are catered for in exactly the same way. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,583
    Pelleted chicken manure for slow release fertiliser.  Liquid seaweed fertiliser for instant tonic.   

Maybe the struggling side has hit a barrier down the bottom of its brick walls and the roots are stuck?  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Other side of the driveway attached below - healthy roots and also new growth - both grown in exactly the same conditions.. will try the chicken manure and liquid seaweed fertiliser and get back to you :)

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,089
    The difference may be behind it there is a bit more shelter. Even in small spaces, there are windy exposed pockets causing your shrubs to suffer. But, you will need to eventually have to keep pruning back. These shrubs are too big for the space. I recommend you prune down the side that is not thriving in spring, hopefully, they will rejuvenate.