Olive Tree Planting

Hi, 
The high winds over the weekend has blown over and smashed a large terracotta pot in which I have an olive tree approximately 5 foot high. The pot was on my  patio in a westerly position. 
I'm considering whether to replant in a new pot which could blow over again or to plant in the centre of my lawn which is in a easterly position. Any advice please ? 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,192
    * Bump *
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,651
    Whatever you decide, you need to wrap its roots as soon as possible, to stop them drying out and to protect from frost and cold.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,884
    Have a good think before you put it right in the centre of your lawn. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,712
    West would be best in the UK. I would get it a new pot, make sure it’s a square or cylindrical one, not one that narrows at the base which is more unstable. You could put a few bricks or something else heavy in the pot to weigh it down more to protect against future storms. Don’t block the drainage holes though. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,264
    edited 11 February
    Some olive trees need time to adapt to new conditions, so if it's in a sheltered spot for many years, and then planted into an area that has no shelter/back protection, it is more likely going to fail.

I would re-pot it and move it to another spot and slowly get it acclimatised to a new area in the warmer months. Also, younger/smaller plants tend to grow better and adapt better. Mature size shrubs/trees are more tricky with an established root ball, they take a long time to reach into ground soil, so if you choose to plant out, you need to plan ahead for those things.